Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Calcu

Re: WAG320N Connection Problem

done the same yesterday.. still have disconnections... :-(

astra_

You didn't answer to my question, though.

Calcu

sorry, i didn't see your question.

In the instructions of my Isp says: PPPoE.

but i tried both of them, each work, but disconnections still here.

i have to send the router to cisco, i've open a RMA. let's see whats happen.

thanks!

astra_

Please, keep us updated.

Thanks a lot.

merc300sl

Had some disconnection issues 2 days back but there was a reported ADSL fault with my ISP.  Still confirming if my settings have resolved the disconnect issue, my connection appears to stay connected longer.  Beginning to woinder if it is related to the OS being used, or a third party application, that is trying to disconnect the modem using UPnP. Still doesn't explain why as I have disabled UPnP.

Has anyone experienced this problem when using Linux PCs only with the Linksys WAG320N?

My observations so far:-

* Connect / Disconnect buttons seem to be useless / non-responsive when the router disconnects itself from the internet (however, the ADSL line remains up).  The WAG320N gateway appears to work independantly from its modem.  A hard reset (power reset) appears to temporarily fix the problem. I haven't come across other ADSL modems (different brands) that keep the ADSL line up and disconnects from the internet.   To me this looks like some issue in the current firmware but this is only an opinion. The keep alive setting for the WAG320N is a little misleading as it only keeps the ADSL link up and not the internet connection.  I have been able to disconnect & reconnect the router from within Windows Explorer but this is only when UPnP is enabled in the router settings (you can see the router device under Network).

* Upon a power reset the logs are cleared and the device clock appears to reset to defaults....the time syncs to the local time (timezone settings) after a little while (approx 15 minutes).  Get a copy of the logs before a power reset if trying to diagnose problems from the logs.  It would have been nice if the router settings allowed one to select an NTP server manually by IP address and/or domain name.

Doing more checks and hopefully I find the right settings as a work around.  I think Linksys / Cisco need to look into how the WAG320N manages the keep alive settings / status.....'keep alive' (as well as the connect / disconnect buttons) should manage the internet connection and not just the ADSL line connection.....much like most other routers on the market.

merc300sl

Still testing my router configs.....it did disconnect 2 days ago but I am not sure if it was due to the reported fault with my ISP around the same time.  My router does appear to stay connected longer than 2-3 days.  I wish I could say how long but I haven't retrieved the logs in time and the email alerts are pretty limited (I wish it could email upon a full log, Access restrictions website block. or other user defined events).

The connection is staying up longer with UPnP disabled.  Still not 100% sure if this is because of UPnP and Windows / third party software during a shutdown process.  I haven't experienced the router disconnecting while I was using it.

My observations so far:-

* With UPnP enabled in the router settings I am able to Connect / Disconnect the router internet connection from within Windows Explorer under 'Network'  (a device icon is present with UPnP enabled).

* When the router disconnects, the ADSL connection is still up.  When you check the 'Status' section in the router the 'Modem Router' section indicates that connection are down but the 'DSL Connection' indicates that the connection is up....in other words the router is connecting but is blocking/disconnecting the internet gateway.  In this disconnect state the Connect / Disconnect buttons in the router settings don't appear to do anything (even if waiting for 5 - 10 minutes after clicking connect).  A hard reset (power cycle/reset) is the only way I know of to get the router to connect to the internet.  This is still looking like a firmware issue to me.  The 'Keep Alive' setting only keeps the DSL line up....it currently does not appear to keep the internet side of things up.  I would expect the 'keep alive' setting to keep the DSL and internet connections up at the same time (like I have experienced with other different brands of routers). I would also expect UPnP to have no bearing on keep alive settings. If Linksys / Cisco staff are reading this.... Linksys / Cisco should fix these problems in the next firmware release.  It is a bit disappointing to see this type of problem with this brand.

* The router logs are cleared when the router is power cycled.  Initial dates are reverted back to the year 2000 and time resets to 00:00.  It is only after the router does an NTP lookup after about 5 - 15 minutes that the time and date corrects itself.  It would be nice if the router could have manual NTP server settings added by the user.

My suggestions to try out (for Windows 7/Vista users):-

1. Enable UPnP in the router and make sure that the device is showing Disable under Windows Explorer when your right click on the router icon.  If Disable is not present then click on Enable on the icon. Disable UPnP in the router after doing this and save settings.

2. Ensure under the 'Setup' tab in the router settings that 'Keep Alive' is selected and then saved.

3. Keep a copy of the router logs if you like.

4. Save router settings and hard reset (power reset) the router.  The router should connect normally, assuming the correct ISP settings and correct username & password is entered and saved.

I am not saying that the above suggestions will resolve the disconnect issue as I am still testing router settings to see if it does.  Regardless, I don't see why UPnP should cause such a problem.

Please note:  Ensure Wireless MAC restrictions and Access Restrictions are not set to block your PC's IP and/or MAC addresses from your network....just in case people overlook these settings :smileywink:.

It would be interesting to know if there are any Linux / Macintosh users are experiencing the same problems with this router (please post your experiences if you do).  If the above suggestions resolve connection issues then please post that too.

polomeb

I bought my WAG320N in June last year and had the same problem... after monitering my ADSL line for a period of a month, it turned out that the router sends a disconnect message on my line every 16 hours and 55 minutes exactly.... After having the unit changed, with the same resut, i finally figured out that if I didn't use the "Internet Access Policy" function, disabled it, all was well and my router does not disconnect at all.... have tried to contact the support team but nobody seems to know how this happens... have upgraded the FW but feel it still needs to be worked on by CISCO if we want to use this function...

merc300sl

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your post polomeb.  It is interesting that you mention 'Internet Access Policy' as I am currently testing that setting/function.  So far it has been over 24 hours and no disconnect yet. 

If this problem has existed that long then I am disappointed to hear that.... however... the problem could be caused by the kernel used in the firmware (I think it is Linux / Unix based). I googled "signal 15" and it came up with a lot of linux posts..... here is one I found from an Ubuntu linux user with a similar problem.... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1177021 .  This user seems to have resolved his issue for a different application.

Anyway, if Internet Access Policy restrictions is the problem/cause then I guess it is a work around and makes the router useable.

Hopefully the CISCO guys are still reading these posts and are still working on a fix that makes all functions useable....I trust that they are.

astra_

merc300sl

Hopefully the CISCO guys are still reading these posts and are still working on a fix that makes all functions useable....I trust that they are.

I am very disappointed in Cisco. I always adored Cisco but they really let me down with this router. This problem is 18 months old and they could not be bothered to fix the problem? Are we so insignificant for them vs. corporate customers?

cisco9901