KiwiGuyNZ
Accepted Solution

WAG320N and Cable modem connection

I have a quick question,

Could you point me to some reference material about configuring my WAG320N to use my cable modem via Ethernet port 1. I've seen it mentioned that's its possible, however I've been unable to sort it out myself.

And before you ask, I've brought the DSL router as I'm moving in the next 12 months and my new base will not have access to cable internet and I'll be reverting back to DSL.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Expert
Expert

Re: WAG320N and Cable modem connection

When you connect the WAG through a LAN port to an existing network you'll operate the WAG like a simple access point and ethernet switch. You bypass the whole routing and internet functions of the WAG. You can only do this if your cable modem is not a simple modem but also a router (i.e. it's a cable modem/router combo just like the WAG is a DSL modem/router combo). If the cable modem is also a router you can set the WAG to a free LAN IP address behind the cable modem/router, disable the DHCP server on the WAG and connect an ethernet port of the WAG to your cable router.

If the cable modem is really just a simple modem then it's not possible to use the WAG because you don't have a router to share the internet connection (the WAG will only operate as router when connected to a DSL line through it's DSL port).

This problem of switching from cable to DSL or vice versa is one of the reasons why I usually recommend people not to get DSL or cable combo devices but only simple ethernet routers like the Linksys WRT series routers together with a simple modem which very often you can get for free from your ISP...
KiwiGuyNZ

Actually in this case your wrong, but thank you for the fast reply.

After some playing around, it seems that the WAG320N is specifically setup to configure Ethernet Port 1 as a WAN port and you can route all the internet traffic through the cable modem via the WAN port you have just configured.

If anyone is interested then load up your routers config page 192.168.1.1 by default.

Click on Setup

- Ethernet

Next to Ethernet Connection: Select the radio button labelled Use as WAN Port

Most standalone cable modems will have a static IP so under the Connection drop

down box select Static IP.

Enter your Cable modem's IP address, subnet mask, default Gateway and DNS address's.(These should have all be supplied by your ISP)

And finally click Save Settings at the bottom of the screen to commit your changes.

Then connect to your WAG via the Ethernet switch or Wireless connection and you should be good to surf the web.

Hope this helps anyone else that is trying go use a cable modem through the WAG320N or similar device.

Expert
Expert

Excellent. I did not know that. Older models don't have this function. Good Linksys added this...
KiwiGuyNZ

I agree, I went through a small panic mode after I opened up the box and couldn't see what was staring at me in the face.

But after a little bit of caffeination(love my espresso machine) I saw the word WAN and a light turned on in my head :smileyhappy:

Well I hope this helps other people.

jose antonio

para conectar un cable modem thomson tcm420 (solo modem sin router ni wifi) al wag320n es muy facil:

en el wag320n, en ethernet seleccionar use  as wan port. despues elegir automatic configuration dhcp, despues save settings.

apagar el pc, apagar el wag320n y apagar el cablemodem

despues, enceder el wag320, cuando veais que ya está encendido y luces fijas, entonces encender el cablemodem y automaticamente en el wag320 la luz de internet se pondra en verde.

y ya funciona el wag320 con un cablemodem

to connect a cable modem thomson tcm420 (only modem without router or wifi) is very easy to wag320n:

in wag320n in use as select ethernet wan port. then choose automatic configuration dhcp, then save settings.

turn off pc, turn off and turn off the cable modem wag320n

later, the wag320 enced, when you see that is already fixed lights on and then automatically turn on the cable modem and the Internet wag320 light will be put in green.

and already works with a cable wag320

yabadabado

yes but i got a ^problem with that Function !  my speed is blocked between 25-30 mbits and when i connect the modem cable of my provider telenet directly to the computer, i got my 60 mbits !!!  something wrong ???

Expert
Expert

ADSL2+ doesn't go faster than that. You have got the wrong device.
Expert
iamgiantherockstar

This thread has been moved to Modems and Gateways under Cable and DSL.