Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
pepe999
Accepted Solution

WAG320N very poor wireless signal on 5GHz.

Hi all,

Because I live in a block of flats I decided to buy a proper router on 5GHz. I can see at least 12 wireless networks and all of them on 2.4GHz(mostly BT HomeHubs or other UK ISP wireless boxes). I study CCNA and our teachers recommend cisco routers(linksys) as the best ones. I bought a WAG320N as the best one I could find in the UK market for a fair price. The problem is, that I have less signal on 5GHz than on 2.4GHz. I have maximum 50% of signal on 5GHz and speed is usually below 802.11g, means below 64Mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it. When I change it to 2.4GHz the signal has up to 80% like my old router TP-Link. The speed is mostly up to 65Mbps, means terrible. I have seen lots of topics about this particular router but I couldn't believe that Cisco sell such awful and unreliable products like this router. I have tried to change the channels on 5 and 2.4GHz but it's always the same, poor speed and low signal. My wireless card is Intel WifiLink 6200 Advanced -N and operating systems Windows 7 and Sabayon linux. I have a laptop and it is cca 6 metres from the router and there are 2 walls. The router is still under warranty so I won't hesitate to return it back to PCWorld..

Thanks for your help.

pepe999

Re: WAG320N very poor wireless signal on 5GHz.

I moved the laptop closer to the router. I had 85% of signal 3 metres from the router with no interferences. 100% I had when the laptop was about 1 meter from the router but the wireless speed was poor again. We have a linksys wireless router(not modem router) in a class at College and I always have 100% of signal approximately 8-10 meters from the router! I'm going to ask teachers about it but not sure if they help me.

slyphnier

i haven't try using WAG320N

but WAG120N that have wireless-N also similar issue, wifi N connection really unstable and only close range connection perform good enough

maybe you can set your modem to wireless-N only instead mixed mode, there no option for Wifi-N only on WAG120N though

on my WAG120N, i set the modem to B/G network mode, instead mixed, and so far stable enough

pepe999

slyphnier wrote:

i haven't try using WAG320N

but WAG120N that have wireless-N also similar issue, wifi N connection really unstable and only close range connection perform good enough

maybe you can set your modem to wireless-N only instead mixed mode, there no option for Wifi-N only on WAG120N though

on my WAG120N, i set the modem to B/G network mode, instead mixed, and so far stable enough

Hi,

I have tried everything I could, even N mode only but no luck. I have seen over 70Mbps when I tried G-only mode but it was mostly poor and below 64Mbps like it should be. That cheap O2 Wireless box I got as a router with my broadband keeps stable 64Mbps so it's better than £90 Cisco router..

slyphnier

802.11G is 54mbps max

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11g

if you get more than 54mbps that means you still in mixed-mode or 802.11N

i don't know if wireless G range sufficient for your or not, as i am aware that linksys wireless coverage is standard/decent

but if stability your priority you can set your network to B/G (disabling N) and see if it perform better

well nothing much we can do, just hope new firmware should fix the issue

or if you just purchase maybe you can exchange the product

pepe999

My mistake, of course it's 54Mbps. I know it's strange but I got that 70Mbps on G-mode only and it should be max 54Mbps like you said. I set 2.4GHz and N-mode only last night. Maximum speed now is 130Mbps but mostly drops between 1-65Mbps.

pepe999

I solved it. I moved the router closer to my bedroom. There is only a bedroom door between the router and my laptop. Signal has cca 90% and speed is mostly 270 or 300Mbps.:smileyhappy:

gb4242

This is not a solution.

Wireless @ 1 yard is easy and not what we expected

vplant1

Very similar problem in Australia. Crappy low level WiFi signal, which is very slow, even in adjoining rooms.

Considering returning product to the retailer. Avoid this one and find a better brand.

Jake_2.0

Sometimes, you need to go beyond the confines of your router configuration. You also need to consider other factors that would affect the router’s wireless performance. The following are factors that you need to consider:

• Distance- Try to relocate the router for a better coverage to your computer
  • Router’s wireless settings – Use this tool: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to select the best channel that you can set on your router
  • Firmware – make sure that the router’s firmware has been updated
  • Drivers – make sure that the drivers of your computer’s wireless has been updated.

If all else fails then you can consider returning that router and have it replaced.