ROY_SIGS

I have a WAG354G that I use, with a Desktop via an Ethernet connection and I also have a laptop that I try to use via the wireless. The trouble is I only get an extremely weak signal. More often than not too weak to use. My Router is at the outside 25 feet away from the router. That is absolute Maximum distance normally around 20 feet. My neighbour whose router is around 80 feet away and through 2 brick walls gives a far better signal. But I don't know what router she is using. My question is can anything be done to increase the signal strength or do I need to buy a better quality router?

Wizzard

Re: WAG354G

Try updating firmware to latest version. You can get it from www.linksys.com/download, try different channels like 1,9,11. Try changing these advanced wireless settings, beacon interval to 50, fragmentation threshold to 2306, RTS threshold to 2307, and DTIM to 2.
ROY_SIGS

Thank you for the reply.

Where and how do i find these settings to change them?

try different channels like 1,9,11. Try changing these advanced wireless settings, beacon interval to 50, fragmentation threshold to 2306, RTS threshold to 2307, and DTIM to 2.

I am a rookie when it comesto dealing with these techie bits.

Thank you.
Wizzard

Access routers setup page...using http://192.168.1.1 ... in the address bar of the explorer .... It shows username & password .... Leave username blank & in password use admin.... Click wireless .... it shows wireless settings .... change the wireless channel from 6 to 11 ... click save settings Click advance wireless settings .... Change Beacon Interval - 75 DTIM - 2 RTS & Fragmentation - 2306 ..... Click save settings ...
ROY_SIGS

Thank you for the quick response. I'll give it a go a wee bit later and then let you know the result.

Thank you
ROY_SIGS

I spent all last evening changing the settings around. The ones you said to change did improve iy a very small amount I think, but nothing really to make a great deal of differance. I think I shall have to go and treat myself to a new router that will give me a better reception on my laptop.