Search instead for 
Do you mean 
drdr6

Re: WAG54G2 - Continuously enable SSID broadcasting

Still happening to me .. getting very irritating

IS ANYONE FROM LINKSYS LISTENING ?

drdr6

HELLO ... HELLO ... IS THIS PROBLEM EVER GOING TO BE ADDRESSED ?

PastorMike

I've had the same problem ever since I purchased the router. Have been on the phone to the helpdesk a few times but they always get me to tweak the settings, reduce security etc etc.

I don't think that the problem is related to SSID broadcasting. The wireless network simply seems to do a lock-out (does it think it's under attack?) or the wireless network shuts down. You can change any one of a number of the settings and save the changes and the wireless network begins operating again. (My PC is on a wired connection and it always continues working fine even when the wireless connections are out.)

Simply leaving the router for 20 minutes or so works as well.

I agree with the other posters - this problem is really annoying and a blemish on what is otherwise a great product!

By the way I've just updated to Firmware rev 1.00.19 which I hoped would sort the problem and it doesn't seem to be as bad as it was, but the problem is still there.

anfjavid

[ Edited ]

Users should start boycotting linksys products. Linksys sucks. The name BLINKSYS well suits this unit as it always blinks besides not performing its job.....

PastorMike

Has anyone tried using a different range of IP addresses?

I think that the problem has grown worse (or maybe started) since other folk in my neighbourhood have purchased wireless routers. Most times of day I can see two or three other wireless networks and I wonder whether (if they all assign ip addresses beginning at 192.168.1.100) there might be conflicts which cause the router to think that it is under attack so it shuts out wireless connections for a time.

PastorMike

I seem to have found a fix for my issues! 

I was operating my router on channel 10 (2.457GHz). Happened to be using my laptop at breakfast time while my wife was heating up her porridge in the microwave and I noticed that while heating the wireless link kept dropping in and out. Found that when the microwave was used for a reasonable length of time (say > 30 seconds), the wireless link dropped out all together (i.e. the router stopped broadcasting and would wait a number of minutes before bringing up the wireless network again.)

Searched a bit on the internet and found that microwaves are a known cause of wireless interference, particularly when sited close to the router (in my case probably 5-6 feet away on the other side of the wall.) Did a bit more checking and found that domestic microwaves operate at 2.45GHz i.e. within the frequency range that my router was set on.

I've found that there is also interference on the lower channels (tried 2 through 8) from other routers in the neighbourhood but mainly from our cordless phone (a Uniden 2.4GHz model). I've now set my router to use channel 11 (2.462GHz) and the connection is rock-solid - even when the microwave is going.

So ... apologies to LinkSys - it seems that the router was doing what it was supposed to do. It'd be good, though, if the techies where clued up on sources of interference, particularly microwaves since they are so common - could save months of frustration!

I am - for the moment at least - a happy man! :smileyhappy:

PS: I hope that this post helps some other folk to resolve their frustrations too!

PPS: I found "Network Stumbler" (www.netstumbler.com/downloads/) invaluable in figuring out what was going on. It's a valuable little tool that "listens" in to wireless signals in the vicinity and records them over a period of time - enables you to pick an uncluttered channel and monitor your wireless network performance too.

kohlidi

Same problem here... Tried everything -i mean everything-  got nothing. I will try to avoid linksys in the future...