Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sar10538

WAG54GP2 VOICE tab access lost

I bought a WRT54GP2 independently of my ISP/VOIP provider so I could have an all-in-one router. As my provider would not provision the VOIP side I disabled provisioning and set up the voice settings myself and it works perfectly.

I was reviewing the VOICE settings side and under the SYSTEM tab there were settings for Administrator Password and User Password. Researching on the Net it seems these should be set to strong passwords which I did but then found trouble moving from the main part of the router configuration to the VOICE tab as I would get a message about a non-admin account not being able to administer the voice side. Via clearing the cache on my browser and restarting the router/browser I managed to get back into the VOICE config tab and immediately removed those two passwords. Seeing the settings under the SYSTEM tab it looked to me that the router was open on the WAN side on port 1880 so I disabled the web server and web server admin options thinking these were only related to the WAN side not the LAN side. I now find out that I can no longer access the VOICE tab as the router immediately disconnects from the browser.

I've tried contacting my ISP/VOIP provider but they seem to be unable to help and have had no luck with Linksys support either as all they want to do is pass it back to my ISP/VOIP provider saying they are the one to reconfigure it but I'm the person who did the config (and also shot myself in the foot incidentally). If I could only reset the voice side of the router back to factory defaults I would be fine but, unlike the WAG310G, there is no option to do this, just the option to reset the WAN/LAN/Wireless side to factory defaults. I've tried pressing the reset button for 30s and reset via the menu option but neither reset the voice side. Surely there must be some way to do this even if it involves opening the box up and connecting a jumper or something. Any ideas please? Sorry for the long post.

Cheers, Steve

scrooge

Re: WAG54GP2 VOICE tab access lost

The ADSL gateway can be set to factory default by pressing the Reset button and resetting through the gateway’s web-based setup page. Pressing the Reset button at the back of the gateway for 30 seconds will reset your ADSL gateway to its factory default settings. Any changes made on the gateway will be erased and the gateway’s IP address will become “192.168.1.1” and “admin” will be its username and password.

So in short there are only two ways of resetting the gateway. So here is the link which will help you in resetting the router: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&login=1&vw=1&app=search&articleid=4254&userrole=Linksy...

sar10538

Thanks for your reply but, as previously indicated, these methods of resetting to factory defaults ONLY reset the networking side of the router NOT the voice side, which seems to be a completely seperate unit. This is unlike the WRP400 where under Administration->Factory Defaults, there are seperate options to restore both the Router and Voice systems.

scrooge

Ideally, these devices are pre-configured with VOIP providers, like Vonage and they are the one who sell it to their customers. So, they know how to reset the VOIP part. Since there is no separate option in this device to reset the VOIP part, I believe the 'factory reset' option would reset the entire thing.

sar10538

Ideally my ISP would do this but they do not support this router and so will not help me. Between you and me I believe that they are pretty light in the whole VOIP area.

I can confirm that the software and hardware factory resets ONLY reset the router side of this device and the VOIP side is unaffected,

bohochic323

[ Edited ]

sar10538 wrote:

Ideally my ISP would do this but they do not support this router and so will not help me. Between you and me I believe that they are pretty light in the whole VOIP area.

I can confirm that the software and hardware factory resets ONLY reset the router side of this device and the VOIP side is unaffected,

Yes.. because the VOIP provider is supposed to reconfigure that.  

Try to call your VOIP provider and have them reset and configure the settings for you...

is your VOIP provider Vonage? 

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
sar10538

bohochic323 wrote:

Yes.. because the VOIP provider is supposed to reconfigure that.  

Try to call your VOIP provider and have them reset and configure the settings for you...

is your VOIP provider Vonage? 

I'm in in New Zealand and my VOIP provider is Slingshot and they are just on-slelling VOIP services from another large supplier, so things are a little different. They WILL NOT support me as this device as it was not purchased through them and and is not the one they sell (PAP2T).  I could go to another VOIP supplier over here who do support this device but this would be at additional cost and the current VOIP plan I'm with is part of a package with my broadband, including free local/worldwide minutes. Call me a scrooge but I'm on a low pension and went on this naked DSL plan just to save money..

Cheers, Steve

bohochic323

I'm sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately, but since the VOIP settings on the router is not available, I'm not sure if there is something you can do on your part to reset the whole thing, as the VOIP settings must be set by the service provider.  

I just found a link to another forum and it may be able to help you.  

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16923568

Just give this a try.  But if it doesn't work... I guess you'll have to explain to your service provider what happened...  

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
sar10538

bohochic323 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately, but since the VOIP settings on the router is not available, I'm not sure if there is something you can do on your part to reset the whole thing, as the VOIP settings must be set by the service provider.  

I just found a link to another forum and it may be able to help you.  

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16923568

Just give this a try.  But if it doesn't work... I guess you'll have to explain to your service provider what happened...  

These instructions are for a WRT54GP2 whereas I have a WAG54GP2. What is the difference between them and do you think this would affect these unlocking instructions?

Brenda

We need to know what version is running here and also needs to have the exact voip settings from the provider.