defender15
Accepted Solution

WAG54GS Firmware upgrade problem

Hi,

i am trying to upgrade my firmware using the files supplied at the linksys wbsite. I entered my router serial number correctly and chose the right version model (v.1.1) and downloaded the firmware file. I logged into my router setup page, selected upgrade firmware and selected the file id downloaded. It got about 10% into the upgrade and then said that it is the wrong file for my router. I currently have Firmware Version: V1.00.12 installed and am trying to install  firmware Ver.1.01.03. 

Please can anyone help?

Marc

Kate M B

Re: WAG54GS Firmware upgrade problem

I have just managed to upgrade my WAG54GS (ver 1.1) with  firmware 1.01.03.  A bit scary, but it was actually painless, and all my settings were preserved. However I was upgrading from firmware version 1.00.01, so there may be a difference there. Apologies if this sounds daft, but you did click on the IMG file, didn't you?

Kate

ridcully

Click here , when you select v1.1, there are 2 firmware links, the first one is Annex A and the second one is Annex B...Make sure you download the correct one and then try to upgrade your Gateway...
Kate M B

That's right, and the UK model seems to be Annex A (the first download option).  I do think Linksys could have made it more obvious as to what that was all about - it took me ages to find out what Annex A and B referred to.

Kate

defender15

Hi and thanks for taking time to help

Strangely, (or not as you maybe thinking :smileyhappy: )  i am still unable to upgrade the firmware with either annex A or B.  I definintely have the right model router and is also definitely ver 1.1.  When the firmware upgrade gets to about 10% it stops and says.....

"Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device. Upgrade failed. Please obtain the correct file and try again. "

Im wondering if ive upgraded with a wrong firmware previously and now am unable to install future upgrades? Ive been trying to reset my firmware but havent found how to do this. Is it possible?

all the best

Marc

Kate M B

I'm as much of a newbie as you, I fear, but until someone more authoritative comes in.....!  Firstly, have you tried resetting to 'Factory Defaults' and then doing the upgrade?  Secondly, I can recommend the text chat option if you can find it - I went through 'Ask Linksys' and after inputting my details went through all the answer options until the robot gave up and offered me the chat page.  If you can get through to a person they are usually helpful.  Best of luck.

Kate

defender15

Hi Kate,

thanks for your tips and in answer to your question, i have tried resetting to factory defaults. Will give the live chat thing a go later as i have to go out now and have grown tired of this little square box`s refusal to be upgraded and am contemplating using it to prop up my BBQ.

Bye for now,

Marc

defender15

Hi Ridcully,

thansk for the info and i have tried to upgrade my wag54gs v 1.1 router using the files you gave a link for. Neither works and i still get the message mentioned in previous post. Is there a way to reset the firmware to default?

Regards,

Marc

defender15

Hi Again,

i feel such an idiot as i have now installed firmware AnnexA. As mentioned by Kate earlier, i wasnt directing the firmware upgrade specifically to the IMG file.

Ah well you live and learn

Yours sheepishly

Marc

Kate M B

what a relief!  Happy to have been of assistance!

:womanvery-happy:

Kate