Not my name

WCG200 - configuring for external access

I want the ordinary firewall protection that is enabled by default on the WCG200 in my home network.  But I have a digital video recorder on my home network that I would like to be able to access via the Internet - how should i configure it to allow just that access?  appreciate it!
torqued

Re: WCG200 - configuring for external access

Assign that device a static IP.  Forward the appropriate ports for that IP or put that IP in the DMZ.
castor

Open the setup page of router using the ip address 192.168.0.1..by keeping username blank & typing in password as admin...then click the secuiry tab...enable firewall protection & for your digital video recorder you need to get the ports nos & the ip address from the provider & forward those ports for the assigned static ip address...power cycle the complete network...it should definately work!!

torqued

Here is a hint when doing mixed dynamic/static IPs for local network devices on the WCG200.  The WCG200 isn't really set up to do this, but you can do a little workaround.  The WCG200 assigns dynamic IPs from lowest to highest.  Therefore, when you start assigning static IPs to devices, start from highest to lowest.  That way the WCG200 is less likely to double book an IP address.
chrishoule

Re: WCG200 - setting up BD Player with internet connection

Have been told by Samsung that to enable connection I must have Linksys disable the firewall for three ports (they provided the numbers).  Is this something I should be able to do by accessing my router settings?  I looked under Security but couldn't see how to open the ports.  Didn't even find where details of the ports are.

I'm new at this so would appreciate as simple an explanation as possible.