Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Greymulkin

WCG200 v2 Loses Internet Connectivity and Hard Resets Itself

I have a WCG200 v2 (firmware 2.0.3.9.32-0906) with Comcast in Atlanta, GA and have the following issues:

1.)   With even light internet usage such as XBOX Live, I lose connectivity to the internet.

2.)  Sometimes, with this loss of connectivity, the modem hard resets itself - i.e., all settings are restored to factory defaults (e.g.  wireless is re-enabled, password reset to default, etc.

Power cycling the modem usually solves this problem immediately, but that's hardly a permanent solution.  I have noticed that this tends to happen more frequently after it has rained, which makes me suspect some Comcast equipment needs fixing - or at least sealing so that moisture doesn't infiltrate the components.

If I'm running bittorrent (uTorrent, latest version), this tends to happen within an hour or so.  That makes me think the device is wigging out from stress, but my bittorrent settings are pretty dovish (90 max connections, 1 torrent active at a time, 100kB/s max upload on a "3mbps" upload connection).

Without fail, upon connectivity loss, I will see something like the following in the modem log:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

If the device power cycles itself, I usually see something like:

1970-01-01 00:00:22 - critical - SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

And then it puts on some bell bottoms and starts disco dancing! (note the date above)

Here's my signal levels:

Downstream: power = -3.9 dBmV, SNR = 37.4dB

Upstream: power =  38.0 dBmV, SNR = ??? [for Comcast-eye-only, so we can't bust them when their service turns to bovine excrement, which seems to be whenever neighbors come home and load up something with OnDemand]

My understanding is that these numbers are within tolerance, but most people report a positive downstream power level and my upstream power level might be on the precipice of unacceptable.

Comcast has scheduled a technician for next week, but they asked that I contact Linksys as well. After doing research on the "No ranging response received" issue, I found that lots of people get this problem, but no one ever posts exactly what fixes it.  The best answer is something like, "Comcast came and replaced something at the street".  Of course, most forum threads end without it being clear a solution was reached at all.  I'm hoping this will be the exception.

So, some questions:

A.) Anyone else having problems like this?

B.) Is this the latest available firmware?  Does it have known issues?

C.) Are there some magic settings I need to enable / avoid?

D.) Does this indicate a faulty unit?

Let the solutions begin!

-- Jesse

Gollum

Re: WCG200 v2 Loses Internet Connectivity and Hard Resets Itself

I think you need to upgrade the firmware of your Router. But for this Cable Gateway Routers you need to call your ISP and upgrade the firmware from them. Once you upgrade the firmware of your Router, then Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...
Greymulkin

Gollum,

What makes you think I need to upgrade my firmware?  Do you know of a more recent version?

cahuila

I am having a similar issue. I have a WCG200 with firmware version 2.0.3.9.31-0418... When I connect to Xbox live, I get kicked out and sometimes signed out... I don't loss connection but nothing wants to load... I spoke with Linksys and they said its a problem with my firmware and I think I need to be downgraded... Most likely its something wrong with you firmware version...
klrmowse

i'm with Cox and was having the same problem with my WCG200 v2

with the help of Cisco technician, i had Cox push out firmware version 2.0.3.9.31-0214 to the cable gateway

all's well since... i'll keep my fingers crossed - still too early to tell if it is the fix; cuz mine resets/loses WAN connection every one or two hours, and now it's (only) been over 7 hours and no hiccups.

Greymulkin

klrmowse, are you saying that you had the firmware downgraded?  I'm currently running a higher revision number.
klrmowse

yes, i suppose it can be called downgrading (or rollback);

according to the Cisco technician i spoke with, that is the correct firmware version (2.0.3.9.31-0214) for the WCG200 v2 with my ISP, which is Cox...

i say it's worth a try with Comcast =)

jnajera

I have a WCG200 v1 with the two antennas and Cox Cable upgraded me to Firmware Version: 2.0.3.9.31-0418.

Ever since Cox Cable updated my firmware earlier this month or at the end of last month, I have had a horrible wifi connection with my laptops, and I can not connect my iPhone via wifi to the Internet.  I called Cox Cable and asked them to rollback / downgrade my firmware to the previous version, and they told me they cant.  This is very frustrating.

jnajera

According to Cahulla on this post:

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Cable&message.id=3206&query.id=92133#M3206

A Cisco/Linksys Technician helped them correct the issue with the firmware and  Cox Cable.  When I tried to get the same help just 15 minutes ago thee Linksys Technician wanted to charge me for the help.  Linksys/Cisco wants to charge me $30 to fix the bad firmware they released to my cable company.  This is unbelievable. Linksys release a working firmware or allow us owners to upgrade or downgrade the firmware on a product we own.  This is not something we should be charged for.

decpicable

[ Edited ]

We at one time could get firmware upgrades, (down grades), no problem from linksys.  Now I can't even get drivers other than USB and who wants to connect there router via a 2mb USB connection when you have a 100 mb ethernet connection.  Oh Even with a Linksys NIC I can't get but 10 mb. 

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

Message Edited by iamgiantherockstar on 09-14-2009 12:39 PM