Re: Wierd Linksys x2000 Problem

I guess we'll stand until the new they will release a new fw version. Just want to share this link for browser cookie issue, find it also helpful; http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=3cbf73bbfd774ee2a34f76e4ff5b1d0c_Configuring_Inter...

Ahh....  your link has nothing to do with allowing cookies in a browser.  This wasn't the problem, it was the router itself blocking cookies.

To a previous poster -  Thanks for the heads up re remote admin, I'll test today.  If this portion doesn't work as well I'll switch to another modem/router until a FW fix has been posted.  Pain in the butt if you ask me.

In addition to other 2.0.04.007 Firmware problems described in this thread...

The pop-up window at Setup -> DHCP Reservation doesn't show any information. The reserved IP address for my main computer seems to be working. The router hasn't issued a different address since I installed the firmware, but that pop-up screen doesn't list any reserved addresses, or show any devices at all for that matter..

Also the Status -> Local Network -> DHCP Client Table contains no information. Normally this would show the currently issued addresses of all my computers, my wireless DVD player, and other connected devices. It just shows the column headers and doesn't even build a table.

Yeah, I noticed other issues as well that appear to affect a number of settings for both the X2000 and X3000 models.  I noticed all my entries under the wireless MAC filter had disappeared and had to input them back again.

GeeMack wrote:

The pop-up window at Setup -> DHCP Reservation doesn't show any information. The reserved IP address for my main computer seems to be working. The router hasn't issued a different address since I installed the firmware, but that pop-up screen doesn't list any reserved addresses, or show any devices at all for that matter..

Also the Status -> Local Network -> DHCP Client Table contains no information. Normally this would show the currently issued addresses of all my computers, my wireless DVD player, and other connected devices. It just shows the column headers and doesn't even build a table.

I would suggest that you reset your modem and reconfigure the setttings on it. If the dhcp reservation problem won't be fixed still, try to reflash the firmware, reset and reconfigure the settings.

jaymay: "I would suggest that you reset your modem and reconfigure the setttings on it. If the dhcp reservation problem won't be fixed still, try to reflash the firmware, reset and reconfigure the settings."

Really? I would suggest Cisco repair the broken firmware and not hold the consumers responsible for the research and development of Cisco's products. This stuff isn't just a little glitch in some setting. It's a piece of junk firmware update with several apparent issues, but someone at Cisco decided it was ready to roll out to the consumers anyway. And now that they've broken who-knows-how-many people's routers, their phone support people pretend they don't know a thing about it and want me to jump through hoops working out the bugs in their product. Is Cisco willing to pay my standard $100/hour fee for doing this resetting and reconfiguring?

I've already contacted customer service about the issue. Want to know just how silly the results of that were? Cisco is willing to send me a new X2000 to replace the one they damaged with the 2.0.04 firmware. That's right. They are willing to exchange my router for a new one instead of repairing the broken firmware or making the previous version available. How cost effective do you think that kind of policy is?

Here's how to handle this...

1. Since it was some department manager at Cisco who made the poor decision to release a piece of junk firmware before it was properly tested, that person should lose his job.

2. The new department manager should post the 2.0.03 firmware on their web site along with an apology, an explanation, and a warning about the broken version.

3. They should inform their phone support people that there actually is a problem, because right now they're denying it and it's making them look like idiots. Those phone support people should direct the customers to re-flash the routers with the previous version of the firmware.

4. Then everyone else in that development department should put their other projects on hold and get to repairing the broken firmware. And only make it available when they get it all tested and working properly.

Put the responsibility where it belongs, in the hands of the folks at Cisco. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the people who spend good money to buy the products and who have already gone to the effort of doing a firmware update. Cisco broke it. They should fix it. That's what I suggest.

I guess they probably would want to conduct a thorough test with your router that's why they're replacing it instead. I'm sure if they'll discover that it's as a bug on the new firmware, surely they'll release a fix for it.

@GeeMack Thanks for speaking out loud what i thought after recognising the firmware failures/bugs.

It's not possible to use DynDNS.org updates with the X2000, it always replies: "authorization fails"!

Login in with the used Username and Password on DynDNS.org works, by the way.

But the top of frustration is the fact that the X2000 blocks successfull the DynDNS-Software-Updater installed on a client.
Switching back to an unstable Netgear Router, voila DynDNS-Updates works...

The "Support" of Linksys just came to conclusion i should contact DynDNS... So no help on this side...

AND i from Germany so i searching frustrating hours for the Annex B old-firmware...

Thanks for listening, or helping?!

I have another call into Cisco, and I'm awaiting a response from their tech department about when the repaired firmware might be made available. I will post a message here when (if) I get any sort of an answer from them.

@Spez, I am pretty sure that for the concern that you were having with regard to DDNS can be resolved by a new firmware. I tried to look for the annex b firmware as well but there’s only an annex a firmware available from the support website. Hopefully, a new firmware will be released so that these concerns can be resolved.