tricky300
Accepted Solution

block specific external ip address

Hi,

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I have a WAG160Nv2 and I want to block specific external ip addresses from trying to get at our server that uses the WAG160Nv2 as an internet gateway. It's not immediately obvious if this can be done from looking through the config pages.

Expert
Expert

Re: block specific external ip address

Not possible.

1. Unless you forward a port the server can't be accessed anyway.

2. If you forward a port to the server set the firewall on the server to filter that traffic.
tricky300

Thanks for the reply.

There are forwarded ports which are letting people try and hack the server (we need ports open for Remote Web Workplace and SMTP). They haven't succeeded in cracking our passwords but it isn't stopping them trying.

Expert
Expert

Blocking some IP addresses won't stop them either.

If you have important data on that server or your network get a real business firewall. That can protect your network more effectively, e.g. by blocking repeated access attempts from an IP address.

The WAG160N is a consumer device. If you forward a port you basically bypass all security on that port. Security is then only defined by the server.

Thus, secure the services, for example if the SMTP server is used as outgoing server for your e-mails only you could set up certificate authentication.

For remote access you can use a VPN, best again on a business grade firewall/router. With VPNs you could also use certificates.
tricky300

Yeah, I was starting to think that way anyway but 4 or 5 hackers are trying it from the same ip addresses on almost a daily basis. I know that others may only come along later once I block the current ones, but if I could have blocked them it would have been a temporary fix until I can get a better solution.