Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
hayden

setting up wireless security with cable gateway.

I am trying to set up some type of encryption on my cable gateway wireless router. I have tried accessing the router by typing in http://192.168.1.1 but it wont load in my browser, I have tried it in Safari and Firefox.
Can anyone help?
love

Re: setting up wireless security with cable gateway.

Is the model number of the gateway wcg200?
hayden

yes it is.
heloego24

In FF or IE type: "http://192.168.00.1" without the quotes. That is the common address for most modems to access the online utility.
heloego24

Here's another good one: I exchanged an overheating older model Linksys Cable Gateway for a new WCG200 v1. In the older model (# since forgotten) I was greeted with extensive menus and sub-menus to configure the thing to my heart's content. The WCG200 limits me to three (3)menus (Gateway, Connection, and Local Network)with no sub-menus. I now am unable to control the Router and Firewall sections as before. The Owner's Guide (CD and On-Line) for the WCG200 v1 and v2 are identical, though the v2 guide is jazzed up with some extra eye candy. Both show the same extensive menu system as my old gateway. Apparently there is no guide specifically for the WCG200. Additionally there are no updated software or firmware for the unit. So what gives? Am I supposed to just sit watching the Internet LED blink away even though I'm not online? Someone seems to be leaching off my access point and I'd like to put a stop to it.
heloego24

OK! Problem fixed! It was the NoScript controller add-on for FireFox causing the problem. Set it to allow 192.168.00.1 and got all my menus back :-) Par for the course...I get to the point I've already asked for help, and the solution finally slaps me in the face. ;-)