aerodynamic750

utilising dual band on WAG 320N

Hi All

This is my first question on this forum so please be gentle with me. I've just bought the WAG 320N and can't figure out how to use the 2.4GHZ frequency as well as the 5GHZ frequency at the same time.

I have a laptop with wirelss N and my son's laptop has wirelss G (as does his Nintendo Wii and Playstation 3). The WAG 320N is wireless N but can use both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies.

I was about to set my router to the 5Ghz wireless frequency instead of the 2.4Ghz frequency for better network speed in my home and less interference from neighbouring wireless networks. However, I noticed that when I select the 5Ghz frequency, the options available for which wireless protocol to use no longer offer the wireless B or G protocols and only offer Wireless A or N. Does this mean that if I select the faster 5Ghz frequency on my router any equipment that doesn't use Wireless N (my son's laptop and the games consoles etc) won't work any more? If so, why? If so, is there an alternative way such as setting the router up to use both frequencies on different "sides" of the network with different SSIDs (a 5GHZ side and a 2.4GHZ side) so just my laptop (wireless N) connects via the 5GHZ side and the other devices (wireless G) connect via the 2.4GHZ side?

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks
Gary

Expert
Expert

Re: utilising dual band on WAG 320N

1. Dual-band does not mean dual-radio. Dual-band only means you can use the WAG320N either on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. It does not mean it does both simultaneously unless it was dual-band. You can use either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz on the WAG320N but not both. If you want to use both at the same time you'll need a dual-radio wireless.

2. 2.4GHz is for 802.11b/g. 5 GHz is for 802.11a. 802.11n can use either band and is backward compatible to the 802.11 standards on the specific band.

3. On 2.4 GHz only 802.11b/g/n devices can connect. On 5GHz only 802.11a/n devices can connect.

In your case you have to use 2.4 GHz as you have 802.11b/g devices...
scrooge

I agree with gv and all the suggestion provided by him

- You can not use 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz at the same time on the WAG320N.You can use one at a time.
- 802.11n can use either band and is backward compatible with the 802.11
- As you have 802.11b/g devices,So you have to use 2.4 GH.

Holman

OK, all is clear on the WAG 320N.

But will the WAG 160N or any other Linksys use DUAL radio simultaneously?

And if the beast exists, will it work happily with a mixed network, MAC OS X and Windows Vista?

RE Holman

Expert
Expert

The WAG160N is only 2.4 GHz. I don't think Linksys has a simultaneous dual-band 802.11n gateway, i.e. modem & router combo.

I would recommend to get a simple DSL modem suitable for your DSL connection and speed and then use a standard Linksys router (WRT) to make the connection to the internet through the DSL modem. This way, the wireless capabilities and the DSL technology is separated and independent. This way you should have a much bigger choice in wireless routers. And if you change to VDSL or cable all you have to do is to replace the modem and you can still use your wireless router.

The Linksys WRT610N or the new E3000 are dual-band, dual-radio.

Mix of OS is no problem.
sergiosergio

Hello,

I bought the WAG 320N and I want use it like router, connected with the ADSL provider (FASTWEB Italy).

Have someone the correct step that I have to do for this? Sorry I'm not an expert !:smileysad:

Thanks for your help :smileyhappy:

sergiosergio

Connected with the MODEM ADSL provider.