ronniew
Accepted Solution

will 2 x Wireless repeaters help me? (WRE54G)

i'm setting up a wireless network for a local B&B

they currently have a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL router in one of the rooms but need the wireless signal to reach each guest room

the house has thick brick walls and an upstairs

i was thinking of using 2 x repeaters, the WRE54G's, and to put one on the ground floor within range of the current ADSL router and to put another on the 1st floor within range of the repeater on the ground floor to receive the bounced signal.

I don't know much about these repeaters and how they work exactly and so unsure if this would be a viable solution in my case.

What do you think?

thanks a lot

brickmonkey

Re: will 2 x Wireless repeaters help me? (WRE54G)

Yes, you can use two Range Expander's with your existing ADSL Gateway, but using 2 Range Expanders data transfer rate will be slow...Also when you setup both Range Expanders remember to change their IP Address to match your Wireless gateway...Both RE should run different IP Addresses...
ronniew

ok clear.. thanks v.much
kokokoko

Re: will 2 x Wireless repeaters help me? (WRE54G) <<< how if i have 10 WRE54G

if i have 10 WRE54G. (because we are in 10th floors in one building)
Source Signal I was using WAP4410N.
what about this connection :
WAP4410N WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G WRE54G Client Komputer? i need this computer can connect too.
Note: each of all WRE54G still share to another computers.
Question: Can It does it, does it function ?
mbleigh

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, how was the speed once you connected two repeaters?
auswar3ft

I have a slightly bigger building and I was thinking of stringing multiple repeaters together. I know that it will impact performance, but we don't have enough budget for a bigger solution ( I know this should be solved with a cisco wireless controller)

Also, is this repeater compatible with non-cisco routers?
Expert
Expert

Repeaters are basically proprietary. They work only within a brand and even then often not with all devices.

Multiple repeater severely impact throughput. I guess with 3 or four repeaters you quickly end up with dial-up speeds.

Run wires. It's often much easier and much more reliable then repeaters. And often not so expensive as you think, in particular compared to the work hours and days you will spend setting up a wireless network with a lot of repeaters and afterwards dealing with all the complaints of those who want to use it. Thus running wires is often best and a very good investment into the future.

Otherwise, you don't want simple repeaters but a mesh or maybe WDS. In a mesh access points organize themselves and are aware of the neighboring access points and thus can direct the traffic through the mesh instead of simply repeating it.

If a mesh is the way you want to go check the wireless access point board in this forum. A while ago someone was active there who had a mesh software for the WAP54G (I think it was "FredZ"). That may be a solution but of course requires tailored non-linksys firmware...