tnarmstrong

2 WVC54GC cameras cannot view via internet outside my home network

I realize this is a common issue.  I have read through all the various post and tried several of the suggestions.  I am fairly new to the whole networking thing and don't understand many of the terms (DHCP, MAC address, DNS, ect.). So, I have my two WVC54GC camera set up, configured and working (I can see them from either of my home computers), but I cannot access them from anywhere else.  Here is my network info:

Westell 6100 modem (Bellsouth/ATT DSL)
Linksys WRT54G router w/ WPA encryption
**LAN SETTINGS:
MAC address: xx-xx-xxxx-xx-D4
Local IP: 192.168.2.1 (which seems to be standard for Linksys)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (no clue what that means)
DHCP Server: Enable; starting .....100, ending .....149
**WAN SETTINGS:
MAC address: xx-xx-xxxx-xx-D5
Internet connection: pppoe
Wireless Settings:
Network mode: mixed
SSID: (my network name)
Name (SSID) Broadcast: enable
Security Mode: WPA
WPA encryption: tkip
**ROUTER STATUS:
Inetnet IP address: 74.244.xxx.xxx
Internet Subnet Mask: 255.255.xxx.xxx
Internet Default Gateway: 68.216.xxx.xx
DNS 1: 205.xxx.132.23
DNS 2: 205.xxx.144.23

Camera Settings:
Camera 1: IP Address: 192.168.2.103 (forwarded to 8080)
Camera 2: IP Address: 192.168.2.104 (forwarded to 1024)

So, I don't know what else you might need or is that's TMI already, as I said, I am new to all this.  I chatted with Linksys support Monday night and he went through (remotely) and looked at all my settings and I think he only changed camera 1's port to 8080 and the router's port forwarding to 8080. He said everything else looked correct. (It should have after the hours I have spent reviewing postings here for a solution) It is at that point that he asked if I happened to have a Westell modem... bingo! So he referred me to ATT to have the help me 'bridge' the modem.  It was already 11:30 p.m., so I went to thier web site and got the instructions and did it myself.  Everything reset and I updated my router settings from DHCP to pppoe and entered my user info for Bellsouth/ATT. BUT IT STILL DOESNT WORK.  And now I cannot access my modem with the IP from the ATT website...  AAAAHHHHH.  And, after I did all that, all my IP info changed to what you see above, before it was totally different.

Agian, I am new at all this, so go easy on me if I am missing something very obvious!

Thanks!
great_white

Re: 2 WVC54GC cameras cannot view via internet outside my home network

Hey check out with the firmware of the camera if its not latest than upgrade the firmware of the camera & then try resetting the camera for 30 secs in such a way that power light is blinking on the router & then power cycle the complete network i.e., unplug the power cables from modem & router & plug the power cable to the modem first once the lights are solid green on the modem plug the power cable to the router & check out it will definately work!!!
sloth

Check out the guide I made for the exact same router along with the WVC200 camera (similar setup as your camera) http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Cameras&thread.id=6455
tnarmstrong

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the suggestions! After getting pissed with an ATT e-chat tech support person, I went upstairs and totally disconnected the modem, the router, and everything else that was connected wirelessly to my network. I reset the modem and plugged it in directly to my PC. I then called ATT and went through the bridging process again. He then transferred me to Linksys support. I sat the phone down (on speaker phone) to reconnect modem to router to computer and my husband HUNG THE PHONE UP! He didn't think anyone was there! So, after reconnecting everything I got back online with Linksys support and we went through ALL the settings, once again, but this time, by some miracle, this lady found the problem. We corrected a couple of IP's (changed them from the LAN IP to the WAN IP) and changed a couple of ports and now both cameras can be seen via the internet! The set up process was way more difficult than I anticipated. I am not a networking guru, but I consider myself pretty computer savvy. This was about to put me in the nut house.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance. Thank you.)

Message Edited by Vince_02 on 07-11-2008 08:30 AM
tnarmstrong

Alright, I am getting really fed up with these things.  I have contacted Linksys 3 or 4 times now. I get my problem fixed and then a couple days later, same thing.  I keep loosing the camera that is wireless.  I have two, one is wired, one is wireless.  The wireless one keeps loosing its connection. I call and they have me reset it and go through the whole set up process again.  Yes, it has a static IP, yes it has the latest firmware.  I can not even access the camera setup page via my LAN when this happens.  It just disappears!  Please help!  I want to keep an eye on my baby while I am at work!!!

Terri
kevj

I have the WVC54G (not the same model as yours) and could never really get a stable connection over wireless. I updated it to firmware that was reported to work with WPA encryption, but it kept dropping of the network...I finally bit the bullet, and ran an ethernet cable to it from my router...no problems since...
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
activemind

I have the WVC54G as well, and is able to view it inside my home network, but not outside my network. I did the port forwarding etc., but no luck. I used to use the Wireless G router before and everything works fine, now that I upgraded my wireless router to N, I can no longer view my camera outside my network. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciate it. It must be my IP setting etc...

Thanks in advance.
blackhorse

It could be that you router is set to N only, check that and change it to G and N
activemind

I finally figured it out. It was the default gateway on the camera setting. The default gateway should be set to the router's IP, and make sure that the port forwarding is set as well.