Glenstr
Accepted Solution

port forwarding questions

I have been playing with port forwarding with my two linksys wireless g network cams and 3 other web pages on my LAN I want to access from the outside world.  I have one of them set up to use alternate port of 8081, but after some experimenting see that it was unneccesary.

I have a WRT54GL linksys router running dd-wrt V23 SP2 firmware, and ports 80,81, and 443 (all in the "port from" field) forwarded to cam1, cam2, and Western Digital NAS drive respectively. I found that because I am port forwarding anyway, both cams can continue to use port 80 and I have  80 and 81 in the "port from" or WAN side defined, port 8080 gets me to my router gui.

Where the problem lies for me is, I can only use the ports 80,81 and  443 on the WAN side of my routers port forward, if I use any other port I can't access anything thats served as a web page. I found this out when I installed Transmission torrent client on my NAS drive, it has a web interface as well, and uses port 9091, however when I port forward it through my router I can't get at its web interface from outside my LAN. If I change the  WAN or "port from" to 80 or 81, and leave the "port to" at 9091 I get in fine, but I have to disable the webcam port forward that uses that port. 

I was going to get a 3rd and 4th IP Cam but will have the same problem, as it seems the only ports I can use are 80, 81 and 443, and they are already used up. (I use 443 for secure access to my NAS drive) Changing the port# in setup/options to 1024 or anything else only works if I leave it on the LAN side of port forwarding, the WAN side still needs to be 80 or 81. 

The only way I can see around this is to create a page that will reside on my router or NAS drive that I can show the output of more than one camera on it - something I'd like to do in any case.

ps. I am not using TZO, but I use dyndns so my dns is myname.dyndns.org.  

Klatch

Re: port forwarding questions

As you are using the dd-wrt firmware,You can contact to the dd-wrt forums.
itsokrelax

Wan port is what you use from the outside. If you put all the LAN ports at 80 you should be able to access your cameras via http://<WANIP>:<WAN PORT>
Glenstr

That was my point - all my lan ports that use port 80 can point at port 80, and long as the WAN ports point at something else. The trouble is, I am restricted to only using 80,81 and 443 on the LAN side, which limits me to 3 (not counting 8080 for my routers web gui)

So that means with my two web cams and web gui on my NAS drive, I am unable to log into any other web interfaces on my LAN, unless I log into my router first, disable one port forward and enable another (using the same WAN port of 80 or 81) - which is doable but a PITA..

This is what is looks like on the router:

router port forward image

For example, if I change the port from field for the "tranmission" entry to anything but 80 or 81, it will not work, so if I want to get into my torrent gui on my NAS drive I have to disable "cam1" and enable "transmission"

I checked with my ISP and they are not blocking any ports, so I'm not sure how to get around this, unless I can serve up a page that shows feeds from more than one camera and serve it from one source, ie my router or NAS drive. 

Glenstr

typo - I meant to say in the first paragraph: " I am restricted to using ports 80, 81 and 443 on the WAN side" (not LAN side)
itsokrelax

First off you should be able to have all your LAN ports be 80 for your cameras. If your ISP isn't blocking the ports what do you think is? You should be able to use any port on the WAN side paired up with 80 on the LAN and be fine. What browser are you using?
Glenstr

firefox, but same result in IE, Chrome etc.

I think it's something to do with ports 80 and 81 being reserved for web content - I'm mystified as to why other ports won't work. 

vdrac

Sounds clearly to be an issue between your router and the ISP.  Get yourself a drink, call your ISP, and expect to be on the phone with  customer support for a long time.
Glenstr

Finally figured out that it is an issue with the ports being blocked from my workplace, which is where I was trying to connect from. When I connected to the internet with my laptop and aircard, I was able to get in ok. My workaround when I want to check on torrents from work is to log into my router GUI from work, change the port to 80 or 81 and disable the webcam on that address.
reikitodd

Will not forward Port

In the Applications and Gaming tab, I am in Single Port Forwarding, Internal and External port are set to 80, protocol have been tried as "Both" and "TCP", the IP is filled in as "100" and "enabled" is checked.  When I check the port on ping.eu, it stays disabled.  My IP Camera stopped working about a week ago and this seems to be the culprit as it still works on my local network.  I can't figure out what to do to get this port to open.  Any ideas?