Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
stefanmaine
Accepted Solution

Cisco Connect "Advanced Settings"

I have a Linksys E1000, firmware 2.1.02 Build 5. Everything works fine. I would like to be able to turn off and turn on the Wi-Fi. I do not find a simple way in Cisco Connect to do that. Is there a way?

Before installing Cisco Connect, I did so by browsing to 192.168.1.1, logging in, and at the Wireless tab, I selected "Disabled" or "Enabled". Now, I think to do that I have to go to Cisco Connect>>Router Settings>>Change>>Advanced Settings. But there, it says "... changing the advanced settings can prevent you from using Cisco Connect".

My question, if I turn off the Wi-Fi using the Advanced Settings of Cisco Connect, will I later be able to turn Wi-Fi on again using Cisco Connect's Advanced Settings, or will I have lost Cisco Connect altogether? Thanks.

scrooge

Re: Cisco Connect "Advanced Settings"

Yes, it possible to disable and later on enable wireless through Cisco Connect. Cisco Connect will still     be functional even after you follow the above mentioned steps. Later, when you want to enable wireless on your router, please ensure that you enable it through Cisco connect itself.

stefanmaine

Thank you!

alfredck

Hello -

I have an EA4500 and I would also like to disable SSID broadcast. With Cisco Connect Cloud, how can I get back to the Advance Settings to disable SSID broadcast? I haven't been able to find a way to get to those settings.

Please advise.

A

opheliaimmortal23

Hi there. To disable SSID Broadcast on the Cloud, you click Wireless on the side panel (lower left) and a screen comes up and from there you can see the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands. You will see an Edit button next to the band and from there you can unclick the SSID so that it will not be broadcasted anymore.

alfredck

Hello - I an having trouble following those instructions. Are you referring to the check mark that says Enabled? When I unclick it, it turns off the security mode. I would like to not broadcast the SSID but still keep the network up and running in a secured manner. I know this was an option in the advance settings... how can I get to it?
Expert
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

FWIW, disabling the SSID does nothing for security and actually makes it more difficult for wireless devices to connect and stay connected.  If using a laptop on batteries it will drain the batteries faster as it continually searches for your SSID.   The recommendation is to leave SSID enabled at all times. 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/43

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure...

Chit!

To disable SSID is a valuable feature as:

1. You don’t want your neighbors to see your access point, and most of them are not technically proficient. It could be even hard to explain them that it is not you who broke their internet – they simply do not understand. (it is just a nasty example)
  2. If somebody wants SSID to be disabled and it is a valuable feature for this person – why not to do it?

As somebody mentioned it in other thread it could be really simple to implement SSID broadcasting flag, custom Guest SSID, Guest bandwidth cap …. Cisco, do you need developers, are you hiring? :-)

Otherwise I can’t understand why so many people should wait for so long time for such small things (but valuable for so many people features) to be implemented. 

mrjhb3

Did anyone ever find out how to disable SSID broadcast in the EA3500 with the Smart Wifi GUI.  The user guide says you should be able to go to wireless, edit, and deselect the SSID broadcast, which should be under channel.  I don't see or have that option.  I just upgraded to the last firmware tonight.  Any other ideas?

jeffoavenga

I am trying to change my setting from wpa to wep. Because I need the wep security setting so I connect my nintendo 3ds to the internet. Though I was able to change the security setting by using Cisco Connect>>Advance Setting>>Wireless>>Security Setting. Then a message will pop that I have successfully changed the setting. Then when I try to connect my android phone and DS the router won't recognize tue password. Though there is a message in my phone that says "same password" in the password box.

So I tried resetting the router, by pressing the reset button in the router. Then I got a new username and password. Then I've changed it to my preffered username and password. So the setting is back to wpa security setting, and I am able to connect my cellphone using the new username and password.

Then when I change it to Wep again, my phone wouldn't connect anymore. I have read some blogs that what I need to enter is the 16 character password in
the advance setting. But I don't know what that password is. Because I have tried changing it to my preffered password then a message pops saying successfully changed setting. But when I check it, it still the same 16 character password. I have been trying to fix it for 3 days now. Please help me. Thanks.