Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
nostink

Connecting Brother HL 2270DW printer

I have just purchased a Brother HL 2270DW wireless printer.  I went through the instructions in the Brother manual on how to set it up to a wireless router which is a Valet M10.   Following all the steps it seemed to work just fine, I received a WLAN report showing a connection.  Cool!

Except my Mac immediately lost my Internet connection and was not able to re-connect without resetting the router and reinstalling the router settings using the Easy Key.  Once I again had internet access I found that my Mac no longer sees my printer that I just installed. 

I am hesitant to go through the Brother installation steps once again because of the previous attempt and am trying to figure out why connecting the printer caused me to lose my wireless connection to my computer.  During the connection process one of the steps requires me to push the Wi-Fi Protected Setup arrows button, did that do something that caused me to lose my computer wireless connection?

I just printed a printer setting report and found this information:

Comm. Mode   Infrastructure

Name (SSID)    Cisco WPS _ XXX

Authentication Mode WPA/WPA2 - PSK

Encryption mode AES

Wireless Link Status Failed to Associate

TX Power Code  Full, 1, 0

Am using Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Can someone steer me into the right direction on how to successfully connect the wireless printer without causing me to lose my wireless connection to my computer or the Internet?

Corleone

Re: Connecting Brother HL 2270DW printer

First of all how did you configure the Valet Router M10 – with the help of the Cisco Connect Software or configure it manually… Do you have only a Mac computer as wireless or you have any other wireless computer… If you have any other wireless computer does it happens with those computers as well or it only happens with Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.8… Also let me know what is the IP address that you are getting on the printer as well on the Mac Laptop...

nostink

Thanks for responding,

The router was configured using the Cisco Connect Software.

There is another wireless computer on the network, a PC usings Windows.  It too lost internet access.

Looking at the sheet that printed with the printer settings, the IP address is 0.0.0.0  which I suspect is not what should be there.

The Mac is a desktop. To answer your last question about the IP address for the Mac, is that something that should be shared publicly? I want to give you the right info but I don't want to put any personal info in jeopardy.

One last thing, there is also an Epson jet printer on the network that is connected and working just fine.  The printer was set up prior to the Cisco Valet.

Corleone

The IP address that you mentioned for the Printer that shows when the Printer prints? Try to provide the static IP address to the Printer in the Range of the Router… When the computer gets disconnect from the Internet and if it receives the IP address in the Range of the Router [i.e.. - 192.168.X.X] then try to ping the default gateway and check whether it is pinging or not….

nostink

Thanks once again. We finally were able to connect the printer to our network. I ended up using a USB cable to set it up with immediate success. I can now print wirelessly!
Corleone

So the printer started working wirelessly... As well as the Router too is working great...

nostink

Yes, thanks for your time!
mikeystafford

I am having an identical problem.  I follow all the steps in the manual - both for wireless connections and setup using the USB - and my laptops (PC and Mac) still can't see the printer (nor can my Linksys E1000 router when I tried to add a wireless printer). 

Any suggestions?