Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
iopwert

Display of Password in Cisco Connect, and Wifi/Admin password symmetry - How can this be?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I've installed my Linksys E3200 router and the associated Cisco Connect software.  All is working fine with the router, but I am appalled at what I am seeing in the Cisco Connect software, and I want to confirm that I am not misunderstanding.

First off, Cisco Connect **displays** my admin password, in plain-old text, when you launch it.  I am incredulous that this is happening -- it seems to break such a basic security.  I cant think of a single mainstream application that displays your password in plain sight - it's weird because I use this password in other places, and I've never actually seen it written out since everyone masks it. 

The software doesnt even require a password to open it up, so anyone who may be sitting at my computer (my wife,  another family member, or anyone who may just need to "check their email real quick") can easily open it up and find the password sitting right there.  It just doesnt make sense that a company like Cisco is breaking such a fundamental security rule, so Im thinking I may be missing a setting that hides the password.

To make things worse, Cisco Connect wants to set my admin password and my wifi password to be the same thing. In fact, if I go into the web-based administration program and change the admin password, the next time I open Cisco Connect it wont start until I allow it to make the two passwords the same again.  This is completely bizarre to me -- it means I cant give someone my wifi password without them then having the key to be able to get into my router's admin. 

Im thinking I must be missing something in both of these cases?  If not, there's no way I can keep this software on my computer -- I assume I can just uninstall it and use the web-based administration?

peanuts

Re: Display of Password in Cisco Connect, and Wifi/Admin password symmetry - How can this be?

Cisco Connect software is a user friendly software which manages the net efficiently. Control websites and limit times each device can access the Internet. Personalize your Network name, password and other settings. Add computers, gaming consoles, wireless printers and Wi-Fi enabled devices. Let visitors connect to your network while keeping your information private. 

Here is the link which will help you to know the feature : http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/GetArticle.aspx?docid=6f5c19b451454ed5992a2470317a3b7b_21462.xml&pid=1...

iopwert

Re: Display of Password in Cisco Connect, and Wifi/Admin password symmetry - How can this be?

Uuummm... that's just a marketing blurb, and doesnt really answer my question...

peanuts

Well, yes there is no place where you can provide password for Cisco Connect software to open. If the router is configured manually without cisco connect then you can protect your router setup page and your wireless settings as well.

iopwert

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, but you clearly did not understand my original post.  I'll try and summarize it, maybe this will help:

1) is there any way to keep my password from being clearly displayed when you open the Cisco Connect application?  Is there a reason this basic security rule is broken, or is it just bad design?

2) Why is it asking me to make my router's admin password the same as my wifi password, which is again, another huge security oversight?  If there is no logical reason for this, can I get around it?

3) If there are no workarounds for the bad product decisions referred to above, can I just uninstall Cisco Connect and use the web based interface to manage my router?

Thank you.

Aargau

Yes, this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Well, equally as stupid as reformatting the flash drive you give it for the easy setup key without telling you that all data will be erased.

Come on Cisco. 

Definitely going with the web interface and changing the admin password from the WPA2 password.

dovsol