none2fast

Manual setup of e2500 default password and network do not match documentation ?

Advance user/network engineer/firewall engineer just bought an e2500 (have been using wrt54G's for years)...

first issue... documentation is incorrect as the default network/admin webserver IP address is 192.168.0.1  not 192.168.1.1 as all the documentation i could find indicates.

I really don't want to install the Cisco Connect "bloat-ware" on my PC...the documentation also says the default login is no user ID and password="admin"...this not correct.  I have checked everything i would normally check...caps-lock...typed password into notepad... cut/past into browser etc....no luck on manually connecting with browser...after failed logins I get a 401 error

Any ideas before I take this thing back and switch to a NetGear ?

Thanks in advance.

saber_tooth

Re: Manual setup of e2500 default password and network do not match documentation ?

Well the default password of the router is "admin" all lower case..

And Regarding the ipaddress .. check if there is any static ipaddress on your computer.....  the default ipaddress is 192.168.1.1

vlu328

Re: Manual setup of e2500 default password and network do not match documentation ?

Hello... Like you I also just switched to an E2500 from a very old WRT54G (v5). I am not a network engineer, however, I'm just an average user.

I did not have any documentation in the box. I had the setup CD that was marked "Run This CD First". I followed the brief instructions on the CD cover and the installation process came to a complete stop during the "Checking for Updates" phase at the beginning of the process. I have no idea what the Cisco Connect software does or if I even need it. I even downloaded the updated version from this website and had the same result.

I had an old shortcut saved on my desktop that allowed me to manage the old WRT54G router that led to http://192.168.1.1/ . Out of curiousity I tried the link and luckily ended up at a webpage that looked very much like the router management page that I was used to with my old router -- only better. I have been using it with no problems. I'm able to control the password and number of allowed users of the guest settings (I have seen other posts saying they couldn't do so). I don't know if I am missing anything by skipping the Cisco Connect software, but the router is working great for me!

Oh -- and the default password for me was the very same as the default password on the WRT45G router: Leave the name area blank and use "admin" as the password.

Hope that helps, and if anyone can tell me if I'm missing anything important by not using the Cisco Connect software, please let me know!

vlu328

Oh -- One other thing. The computer that you use to manage the settings on the router has to be hard wired to the router, not using wi-fi. That much is probably obvious to you, but I thought it might be worth mentioning for others that may be reading.

greencross

vlu328 wrote:

if anyone can tell me if I'm missing anything important by not using the Cisco Connect software, please let me know!

If it works for you, you can leave Cisco Connect out. Now that you can manage guest settings in the 192.168.1.1 page, you might not find much use of it.