Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
re4877

Neighbor stealing my internet!

Had a router for a year or so before I realized that neighbors were using my wireless connection.  Today I installed the easylink advisor and secured my connection but in the my network section I see my Pc and my laptop but also still see one of my neighbors computers there.  How do I remove it?
Rottie95

Re: Neighbor stealing my internet!

Hello newbie, I am a newbie here too.  One thing I found out was to password my router with a name that no one would think of.  That way they should be able to access your connection.  I was told to never leave the username as admin.

Hope this helps.

Karen
muffking

That's one way to stop them playing with the router, but you really should enable WEP or WPA with a password attached that only you PC's will save for autologin.
re4877

Its not an issue with my router, that is passworded and safe, its just that in the EasyLink advisor I still see his computer as a little icon in the my network section.  He cant connect, he doesnt have the key, but his computer is still there and I was wondering how to get rid of it from the EasyLink advisor my network section...  anyone?
Funky

I just installed EasyLink Advisor as well but here's an added factor...I just moved into the neighborhood?!?  I noticed a neighbor's computer on my network that was so nicely depicted by E.L. Advisor...so I made sure I used WEP encryption and even took advantage of the "permit only" feature that you enter the MAC addresses of your computers.  But it still shows up?!?  There is that "HIDE DEVICE" button but I want o make sure it's deleted and not just hidden.  Any ideas or feedback?
slschritter

I don't know what my password is to do this. Does anyone know how to reset a password? Thanks for the good thread of info.
BigDawg

It sounds to me that what you are looking for is Windows XP/Vista support.  What you are describing is your Windows Network Neighborhood.
puttersonsale

1st type in the following in your address bar: 192.168.1.1 then leave the 1st blank, blank and the 2nd blank which i think is the password should be: "admin" from there you should see the tabs nd you should do the following, i cant remember exactly which tabs they were in but these are some key steps. rename your router, i am assuming its a linksys so its probably named that if you havent changed it. Then chnage your password. Also, do not enable SSID broadcast, just remember your router name and dont let it do this, also your neigbors probably have already seen the linksys router name so if your rename it it will be much harder for them. Or, ask your neighbor for the internet monthly fee....hehe.
Nicotunes

[ Edited ]
As long as he is broadcasting his SSID you are going to see it all the time, I believe. I see my neighbors' as well. No harm no foul. Computer is just showing all networks that it "sees". Does not matter if you see his........ Message Edited by Nicotunes on 10-17-2007 12:32 PM

Message Edited by Nicotunes on 10-17-2007 12:32 PM