BillPeyto

Unable to Unwire wpc54gs

Hi, When I try to unwire my laptop from my wrt54gs router I get the message..
"ELA could not create a wireless profile on your computer.". 

I stumped since I have successufully used ELA before to unwire this laptop from the same type of router in another situation.

ELA recognizes the router, knows the SSID and security type etc. What could be stopping ELA from creating this profile ?
 Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Re: Unable to Unwire wpc54gs

That is rather odd.  LELA uses WZC (windows zero config - the little computers with the 3 circles on the right in the system tray) to set up the profile.  Maybe there is some reason that this process is locked or it can't switch it over from the Linksys wireless utility?

Can you right click on the WZC thing and see the available wireless networks?

Stuart
BillPeyto

Yes, I can see my network when I click on the little computer with TWO circles on it. (is this the NZC app?) It indicates the network is ready to connect to. Is there a way to unwire the laptop manually. In that way I could see what is going wrong ?
Thanks,

Stuart

Sure,

Click on add another computer and answer the questions such you tell it that you have a non-XP computer.  You will then be presented with a screen with the settings that you need that you can cut and paste into the WZC (computer thingy with the 2 circles).

Effectively, this is a manual way of doing this.

Stuart
BillPeyto

This problem is now solved with the help of Linksys online an online chat techie.
The problem is that the Notebook adapter wpc54gs does not support WPA2 encryption which the router wrt54gs does. 

I changed my network to use wpa/aes encryption and everything worked....
Stuart

Ah, thanks.  that makes sense.

This whole wireless encryption thing is still quite complex when mixing technology from different "eras".

Stuart