highurtenflurst

DMA2100 won't connect to newer dual-band N routers

I decided to upgrade my WRT600N router to see if I could get some better overall range out of the GHz band. I first tried the Netgear 900N based on reviews. I had continuous problems trying to get the extender to connect to the router. It could find it, let me enter the WPA2 passphrase, choose DHCP, and then fail at the last step. I then bought the Cisco E4500 router and this router is doing the exact same thing. I have tried no encryption and a manual IP to no avail. I am about to try the new ASUS router but my hopes are not all that great.

Does anyone know what has changed to make the newer routers not want to play nice with the DMA2100?????

iLeiRaMi

Re: DMA2100 won't connect to newer dual-band N routers

Hello there!

I haven't encountered an E4500 router. Are you referring to E4200? If you are,
perhaps you can try e3200 since it does not have any media server feature.

Hope it helps! :smileywink:

+Leiram+

iLeiRaMi

By the way, perhaps you can also change the network mode of the 5Ghz to Wireless A only and connect the extender wirelessly to it, that way the 5Ghz will be dedicated to your extender as well as your other media devices.

One possible reason is that the implementation of wireless N draft technology used on the DMA is a far cry from wireless N standard of the E4200 today. In other words, the DMA may or may not be able to communicate well with the newer N routers wirelessly as there have been no enhancements on the firmware of the DMA that would be fitting for the certified N standard today.

Just my two cents…

+LeiraM+

highurtenflurst

I meant E4200, not E4500, although from what I read I really wanted the E4200v2.

Anyway, it appears I figured out the problem which makes sense in hindsight. It appears that the problem is that the dma2100 will not connect if the speed is set to 450Mbps. I discovered this with the Netgear N900 router which was the first router I bought. The E4200 was to see if the problem persisted. I will still be returning the E4200 because it is not the E4200v2. Plus the signal is stronger with the Netgear. I set the speed down to 54Mbps and it connected just fine. I haven't tried 217Mbps yet.

Any idea if the E4200v2 has a better signal? I would give it a chance if it did. The routers are in my basement but need to get to my TVs upstairs. Not really looking to add a AP upstairs yet if I don't have to. Which reminds me that the Netgear can act as a repeater and the E4200 cannot which is a pretty big factor to me.

Mared1784

Try going to this site.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31651-cisco-linksys-e4200v2-dual-band-n900-...

It will show you a detailed comparison between the E4200 and E4200v2.

Let me know if this helps on your endeavor.