Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blackout
Accepted Solution

DMA2200 Media Center Extender files playback help

Hello every1

I have a problem with my DMA2200 media center extender

Some of the (AVI) files don't playback on my DMA2200 while the exact same file will play on my PC media center!!!

I mean in my DMA2200 I can even see the thumbnail of the movie that I want to playback but as soon as I choose it gives me the msg that the file can't be played due to a codec problem or that it may be corrupted while I can play the same file on my PC media center

Can some1 please help solve this issue?

Thank you in advance?

NightOwl55

Re: DMA2200 Media Center Extender files playback help

Hi Blackout, is the .avi file that is not playing on the extender but playing on your pc a divx encoded file?
Blackout

[ Edited ]
Hi there NightOwl55
1st of all thank you for ur reply
2nd of all how can i know if the file is a (divx) encoded file or not ?
the thing is there r some (AVI) files that plays on my DMA2200 and some that doesn't so does that mean the (AVI) files which r (divx) encoded will not play and if that was the case how can i know if it was (divx) encoded or not and then how can i make it play
thank u alot for ur help

Message Edited by Blackout on 08-03-2008 07:56 AM
NightOwl55

Hi Blackout. Go to this webpage below and download the GSpot codec indentifier. (I promise it has no spyware) Once downloaded open up GSpot, click on file>open and browse to the avi file that you want to check. In the top right it will tell you what codec the file was created with. Post back your findings and we will go from there. Thanks, http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm
Blackout

Hello NightOwl55
Thank you again very much for ur help
i have downloaded the GSpot software and did what u just told me and here is my findings

Codec: (DX50)
Name: (Xvid 1.0.3)

Hope that will help
Thank you again for all of ur help
best regards

NightOwl55

Hi Blackout. Although the name of that file says Xvid 1.0.3 I think the DX50 codec is actually a DiVX codec. The DMA2100 will play Xvid but it will NOT play Divx. (xvid = open source, divx = licensed codec) I really hope Linksys can work something out to allow the DMA2100 to play Divx files in the future. We will see.

Anyways you will need to convert the file to Xvid. Once again I know the name says Xvid but if you search the web on the DX50 everything shows it as being a DiVX codec.

If you go to videohelp.com and use the "search our site" field and type "divx to xvid" you are sure to find a way to convert the file with free software. But note sometimes it involves multiple programs and steps. I am sure there are other free programs/tutorials out there, if I find anything good will repost.

An easier way but not free may be to use River Pasts' "Video Cleaner" program. I am testing the trial version out now and will let you know how it goes. I think the price is $30.

Here is a link.
http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/tutorials/convert/divx/xvid.php

Let me know how things work out.
Blackout

Hello NightOwl55

well prior to your last post I have tried using a program called (Xilisoft Video Converter) and I was converting the files into MPEG format cuz I know for sure that the DMA2200 support and it worked just gr8 but the only downside was that the file size as u know when u convert it to an MPEG increases and that will eat ur hard disc space but u gave me an idea in your last post to try and convert the file with the same program to (Xvid) format.

Again I would really take this chance to thank you for all of your help and support

With best regards

NightOwl55

Hi Blackout.. one more thing you might want to try... there is a program called "Auto Gordian Knot 2.48B" This might be a simple way to convert divx to xvid. If you click on the advanced tab you will see an option for xvid or divx as the output. Choose xvid and this might do the trick. You will need to make sure you have the xvid codec installed. You can get that from xvid.org And the Gordian program is free.. just google for it. This might keep your file size down.

Cheers,
Nightowl
Blackout

Thank you again very much
i will give it a try
Best regards

cyclometric

I can give you a **much** quicker solution to fixing your DIVX encoded AVI files so that they will play on the DMA2200, at least, this fix works on mine.

All you need is to download the XVID codec which comes with a tiny program called, "Nic's FourCC changer". I don't know who "Nic" is, but this program saves a ton of time! 

You launch the program and can either drag-and-drop your problematic AVI file onto it, or browse using the browse box. In the two boxes will show both the CODEC and the FOURCC identifier. Change both to XVID (upper or lower case, doesn't matter), and click "Apply".

Once you click the "Apply" button, I promise you, the file will immediately be play-able on the DMA2200. It's the greatest and easiest fix yet, and takes much much less time than re-encoding, and without degradation of the video quality at all!!

Good luck,

Will

PS:  If the file won't open in "Nic's FourCC changer", then you must have it open in some other program, maybe GSpot, or a media player, etc. so make sure the file isn't being accessed.