Eclipse00

Diagram for media center hook up to PC

ive been rackin my braing trying to set up my PC as a PVR....over-all goal to push record when im watching TV and have it record on PC then able to press play and continue watching or to watch later....this is what im thinking

cable in to sat reciever to decode signal
output to PC both video and sound
ethernet cable to the media center extender
media center to TV and amp

do I have that pretty close??? what am I missing?

in order to get HD vid I would have to get a HD tv tuner card? becauze I believe I just have SD vid card...

sorry for the newb question, im more of a plumber/AV guy instead of a computer guy

Thanks

Stu
NervusBre_kdown

Re: Diagram for media center hook up to PC

[ Edited ]
may I ask the exact model number of that device? is that a DMA?

Message Edited by NervusBre_kdown on 02-27-2008 04:01 PM
Eclipse00

[ Edited ]
ya it would be the DMA2100

Message Edited by Eclipse00 on 02-27-2008 10:42 PM
saintalan

[ Edited ]
Stu Hi

Excuse me if I state the obvious to you, its always difficult to know based on one post.

You need Vista Media Center on your PC. The DMA2100 runs its own session of VMC, so you can have 2 sessions running.

Dont quite understand what you mean by "output to PC both video and sound" that will be whatever you've got on your PC. Your 2100 can output to TV & Audio.

I have the 2200 (same but with DVD) in the UK and have a Dual Tuner in the PC, which allows me to do what you want. You can even stop a Video in one place and pick it up from the other.

Let me know what specifics you require and I will try to help.

Cheers

Alan

EDIT, just re-read your post. If you are saying your Sat is StandAlone then I dont think you can do that with the 2100. You would need some PC application to record your Sat output. Anyway, as I say, be explicit and I'll try to help.

Message Edited by saintalan on 02-28-2008 02:24 AM
Eclipse00

I just read my post and it was output from the sat reciever to my PC....I did it with a S-vid cable and analog audio cables....but it wasnt HD

I also do have vista home with media center and my xbox 360 has it but i dont want it on while watching TV thats why im looking at the DMA 2100 for the TV alone
saintalan

Hi

To get HD, obviously you need an HD Source, probably from your Sat or an HD DVD (Blueray) player. You would then need an HDMI (of DVI + Audio) cable(s) from the Sat to an HD Graphics card on your PC.

Excuse me if I state what you already know, but to use the DMA the PC needs to be on (not necesarily running VMC).

The other way of doing it would be to buy a (HD) Sat card for your PC (not sure what you have in the US) then you would not need a new graphics card. The Sat card would have to be VMC compatible then you could use the DMA HDMI output to your HDTV.

Hope that helps a little.

Good Luck

Alan