How to flash a WMLS11B

OK... I may be plain dumb but I am going crazy trying to find the flash utility to upgrade the firmware on my WMLS11B. I found the newest firmware on the LinkSys web site with instructions on flashing but I have no flashing utility. Checked the setup CD as well as the set-up program on the web site. Can someone help?

Thanks!

quack

Re: How to flash a WMLS11B

hi....u can use a tftp utility to flash the firmware of the wmls11b ..... to get the tftp utility go to ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe :smileyhappy:

You're a jewel! Thanks. You would think Linksys would put this info into their instructions. Even on the same page with their downloads. But... water over the dam. Now its time to "flash"!  Merry Christmas!!
Burkhardi

Which firmware version did you find? V1.09 or V2.3.5?

I actually found 2.3.5 on a Yahoo website dedicated to WMLS11B owners. It seems to be working fine. I did have a problem with a "lockup" but rebooting the receiver (actually a complete reset) seems to have solved the problem for now. I do know the orinal firmware was terrible and unstable. It is a bit disappointing that the unit does not support more formats of streaming audio as there are a few local stations I would like to have in my "favorites" folder. But, I guess you can't have everything.

david_sampson

After successful initial setup, I can't get my WMLS 11B to go back into its wired mode in order to flash it. I've tried the linksys utility and the third party one discussed in the Yahoo fourm. I can navigate through the unit's software to the page and select the change to wired option. The unit resets itself, but does not seem to save the setting change as it does when I change other items in its menu.

So far pressing the reset button has not worked.

Any Thoiughts?

The key, I believe, is to be sure to hook up the WMLS11B to your ethernet cable before starting. Are you hooked up through your router or directly to the network connection on your PC? If the latter, be sure to flip the switch to the "crossover" mode. Also, when resetting the unit, you must depress and HOLD the reset button for about 5 to 6 seconds for a complete reset. Use a paper clip and hold the reset button until the unit powers down. Then release the button and it should power up with all factory defaults. If your ethernet cable is connected, you should be able to "discover" the unit via the setup software. Try it and let me know how it worked out...  Just a reminder, though, NEVER try to update firmware over a wireless connection. Be sure you are using the network cable.
david_sampson

Thanks, I tried all your suggestions with no luck. The unit will not allow itself to go back into wired mode. With all the other settings, I get a prompt that says something like "setting saved reboot in 2 sec" then it reboots. When I select to change to wired mode, I don't get the prompt and it reboots immediately. Odd.
Burkhardi

Do you see a yellow or green light flash next to where you plug the ethernet cable into your WMLS11B?

Hmmm... I just installed a second unit at my work office this afternoon. Again, you have to be sure the ethernet connection switch on the WMLS11B is set to the proper configuration (connected to PC or router) and do the complete reset. My experience is the unit will not stay in the wireless setting if it detects an ethernet cable connection. In fact, once you use the setup software and attempt to switch to "wireless", it tells you to disconnect the network cable before proceeding. If all that fails, perhaps you have a truly defective unit...