Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rootsy
Accepted Solution

Making the WMB54G work with Vista (Service Pack 1) - it does work.

I posted this in response to a thread, thought it could use its own topic. 

There is hope and potential success for Vista users!   I got the WMB54G 2 days ago.  I spent 6 hours with it and nearly threw the product AND my computer out the window the first night.  I scoured this forum for the past two days,  and by putting pieces together from various threads,  I'm now using the Music Bridge successfully with my 1 month old Dell XPS M1530 with Vista Home Ultimate with Service pack 1.  Once I had my gameplan,  it worked perfectly the first time I tried the new approach.  I will try to write a step by step process of what I did in the next few days but for now.....

1.  Throw out the installation CD that comes with the music bridge (its useless for Vista).... I'm kidding, but you get the point.
2.  You HAVE to dowload the Vista compatible installation utility and Firmware upgrade from the Linksys forum - I don't have the link right now, but its here in this forum. 
3.  Run the Vista driver setup to install the Musicbridge utility - the "Install utility" link at the bottom of the setup screen, but DO NOT try to configure the router since you'll just have to do it again later. 
4.  Run the firmware upgrade for the router (it behaves exactly like the setup utility, but instead of configuring the hardware for use, it upgrades the fimware)
5.  Run the Vista driver setup to configure the router (only after the firmware upgrade).   I didn't have to do anything outside of the auto setup.  i'm using a Linksys wireless G router as well, and it connected with 64 Bit WEP encryption no problem once i entered my encryption passphrase. 
6.  Open up MSCONFIG and disable the CMFLYWAVE Application on Startup
7.  In your Program Files directory,  find \Linksys\wmb54g\wmb54g.exe,  \Linksys\wmb54g\driver\cmas2ds.exe, and \Linksys\wmb54g\driver\cmflywav.exe - For all three files,  right click and go to Properties\compatability.   Check the "Run this program in compatability mode for:"   pick XP with SP 2.   

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THE PEOPLE WHO POSTED THAT LAST BIT!!!!

8.  I'd suggest restarting the computer now. 
9.  You might get a "WMB54G.exe has stopped running error" on restart... that's ok
10.  Start the following files in this order:
cmas2ds.exe
cmflywav.exe
wmb54g.exe
11.  The utility should start, and then you can connect to the bridge via the system tray icon.  - you might have to also set the default audio device to the Music Bridge by right clicking your system tray speaker icon
12.  Uncheck the "Start the Music Bridge when I start Windows" option in the utility screen - and execute the three files in step 10 each time you restart. 

I hope this works for you. 
tpwilshusen

Re: Making the WMB54G work with Vista (Service Pack 1) - it does work.

[ Edited ]
Thanks, I followed these instructions and got the utility to come up on my PC (new Dell Insprion 1720, Vista Ultimate 32bit), and it picks up my WMB just fine. However, when I connect, it shows "Connected" but won't switch the sound over to the bridge. I set my firewall to allow wmb54g.exe, and CmFlywav.exe, with no success. So, I'll keep searching here.

OOPS... I didn't read all of your post. I did right-click on the sound icon in the sys tray, pick Playback Devices, then selected "Speakers Linksys Wireless-G Music Bridge" as the default, and presto, it works. In fact, I installed a 2nd WMB and can go back and forth between those two and my laptop speakers.

Message Edited by tpwilshusen on 08-07-2008 01:46 AM
Scubadoo

Glad you guys could make it work.  It will be nice when Linksys actually develops a truly Vista compatible Utility so such major tweaks, dare I say kluges, are not required.
jmfife

[ Edited ]

I finally got my WMB54G to work with Vista SR1.    It took me 4 hours of struggling to figure it out though.

What I did was:

1. Download the latest utility and firmware from the linksys support site.

2. To set up the device, preferably use http://192.168.1.210.  There are http setup instructions on the linksys customer service site.  Alternately, you can use the setup wizard on the CD but I would recommend avoiding it if you can.  If you do use the setup CD and it installs the WMB54G utility, promptly uninstall the utility afterwords and restart the computer.

3. Update the firmware to v.2.18 by using http://192.168.1.210 and going to the HELP tab

4. Install the latest utility from the support site but do not run the main setup.  Simply run setup.exe in the utility folder AND GIVE IT PLENTY OF TIME.  Walk Away and let the installer finish and close.  Then do the thing people discovered -- edit the properties of C:\Program Files\Linksys\WMB54G.exe and make sure it is set for running in XP compatability mode.

5. Restart the computer

Mine started working fine after I did all of this -- the WMB54G came up automatically and found the device.  Keep in mind I do not have WEP or anything -- just unsecured wireless.

Good luck.

Mike

Message Edited by jmfife on 01-17-2009 10:51 AM
Message Edited by jmfife on 01-17-2009 10:54 AM

(Mod Note: Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)
Message Edited by giantherockstar on 01-17-2009 11:05 AM
klevilla

I have this problem when install software utility in Vista SP1 .

I Call to support and help me.......excellent service!.

For work well in Vista sp1, (resume)

- Download lasted firmware file for update device and install.

- Download lasted utility/driver from support download area an install.

- In install procedure of utility, have a message error MFC...dont work prperty. Dont worry, continue to install.

- Go to Vista icon,  all programs, wireless g music brige, point Misic Bridge  Utility, click right button mouse select Property, tab compability, check compability windows Xp sp2, Apply.....OK

- Restart windows.

NOTE : This device no work with WEP security wireless option. Use WPSK security option.

Klevilla.

sfttac

Using the steps outlined in the first post, I got it to work, and it sounds great. Just a note in case you are using MAC address filtering for wireless security (as I am), the WMB54G has *two* mac addresses, one that is visible (that shows up when you run the setup utility), and one that is *hidden*. The hidden one is one value off of the shown value. In my case the number was XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:30, so I added that address and XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:31, and it successfully connected to my wireless network. The trick is, this number is in hexadecimal (hex), so if you see a number like 7E in the last two digits, the next number is 7F. If you don't know hex, then I'm sure there is a wikipedia article on how to count (or increment by 1) a hex value.

cheers

Yoruai

This isn't working for me.  It appears the driver installed but the firmware setup is not as smooth.  It doesn't have the "install the utility" option like the driver did, only "click here to start".  Using that option goes through the plug in directions and then says all the lights (power, ethernet and wireless) should be on.  I have it connected to the computer with ethernet but I have never had it working before so I don't see how it could connect wirelessly.  Needless to say the firmware upgrade utility doesn't find the unit. 
Dino

Yoruai wrote:
This isn't working for me.  It appears the driver installed but the firmware setup is not as smooth.  It doesn't have the "install the utility" option like the driver did, only "click here to start".  Using that option goes through the plug in directions and then says all the lights (power, ethernet and wireless) should be on.  I have it connected to the computer with ethernet but I have never had it working before so I don't see how it could connect wirelessly.  Needless to say the firmware upgrade utility doesn't find the unit. 

After you run the Utility setup and set the properties for all the Linksys EXE files to XP SP2 Compatibility go into the windows firewall settings and add all the exe files in the Linksys folder to the allow list. After you do this everything should work fine. You will not have to edit any startup files.

Cyclewc

Thanks for these great instructions. I was able to make a lot of progress in trying to get my Music Bridge to work with Vista, but not 100%.The utility does start now, but doesn't see the bridge wirelessly - only whewn it is hardwired.

I followed the instructions 3 times. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Cyclewc

Thanks to tenacious assistance from the Linksys tech assistance staff my WMB54G  is back up an running! In my case the laptop had to be hard wired to the router, but the bridge still communicates wirelessly with the router. Just as both had been had before I got Vista.

Linksys tech support staff are world-class!

The fix works.