Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
alpate
Accepted Solution

WGA600N with USB200M issue?

[ Edited ]

I can connect the WGA600N to my computer using it's built-in NIC no problems.  However, if I connect it to the same computer using Linksys USB200M v2.1, the wireless will never establish a connection.  I've tried powering up multiple times, and tried other computers.  I can connect a cat5 cable to the USB200M and connect to the computer just fine.  When connected to the USB200M, the WGA600N's wireless light just blinks - it's other lights are all lit steady.  So, it appears these two linksys products work fine separately, just not together.

I'm trying to connect my TiVo Series 2, which only has a USB port, and supports the USB200M - I get the same behavior when connecting the WGA600N to the TiVo using the USB200M, even though the USB200M works fine when I connect wired ethernet.

Anyone else see this?

Message Edited by alpate on 02-06-2008 02:06 PM
dibbler

Re: WGA600N with USB200M issue?

Try to install usb200M on computer and then connect wga600n to usb200m and see if it works. This could identify issue and compatibility check between two.
alpate

Dibbler, as it says in my post, that's what I did.  Still not working.  Even more odd:  If I connect WGA600N directly to my computer and let it establish wireless link, then, without powering off WGA600N, unplug ethernet cable from my computer (the cable coming from the WGA600N), and plug it into USB200M, everything works.  However, if I then power-cycle the WGA600N, it won't establish a wireless connection.

Spent 3 hours this morning explaining all of this to Linksys tech support, 2 separate calls.  Got hung up on both times.  I guess when the techs can't figure it out, they hang up.  Terrible.
reno1

Funny, SAME thing happened to me while calling on my WGA600N....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spent 3 hours this morning explaining all of this to Linksys tech support, 2 separate calls.  Got hung up on both times.  I guess when the techs can't figure it out, they hang up.  Terrible.
alpate

bummer, reno.  I haven't had time to mess with this problem, so no progress. Are you having the same issue?
reno1

I don't think it's quite the same but still just as infuriating I'm sure. Three weekends and still nothing...I've basically given up. I came here hoping SOMEONE would be able to help. I see there's tons of issues with the WGA600N. That can't be good.

I posted a new thread with my issue. Check it out...page one...
alpate

[ Edited ]
It's funny they have a link to sign up to be a beta tester at the top of the forum...it feels like we're beta testing right now.

(Mod Note: Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)

Message Edited by giantherockstar on 03-04-2008 02:04 PM
reno1

[ Edited ]
Well I can see I have them stumped here as well. Almost a day and a half and still no reply to mine.

On another note I am shocked after looking through these forums. I remember when you used to buy Linksys gear and it just plain worked.

Message Edited by reno1 on 03-05-2008 02:00 PM
alpate

Just an update - still not working.

As long as I'm connected through the USB200M, the WGA600N won't connect to the wireless. When I power up the WGA600N, the 'wireless' light flashes, and continues to flash after powering up the my laptop connected through USB200M - never establishes wireless connection.

If I try the same procedure with the WGA600N connected to the Intel NIC on my laptop, as soon as the laptop powers up, the wireless light is solid and the connection is good.

So, the problem seems to be using the WGA600N connected to the ethernet port offered by the USB200M. Either there is something 'non-standard' about the USB200M's ethernet port, or else the WGA600N is waiting for something on the ethernet port that some devices, like the USB200M, don't offer. It must be one of those answers, unfortunately, it is impossible to get anyone who knows anything at Linksys to provide a reasonable explanation.

I'm going to pick up a competitor's USB ethernet adapter and give that a try (it will be hilarious if the competitor's adapter works and Linksys' adapter doesn't).  It's already funny that Intel's NIC works, yet the Linksys USB adapter doesn't.
TaraPapa

Sorry to butt in... Alpate.. the laptop.. is it using a Windows XP or Vista? The WGA600N, what is the version and firmware?