Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lawnboy4536

Re: WMB54G Music Bridge - SETUP TUTORIAL

Yes, I bought the GX4 to replace a 54G in order to reach all areas of my house and all the wireless devices in it (my house has a non-traditional shape - lots of corners and brick-wrapped).   The 54G wouldn't do it, the GX4 does.     I've had it for over a year with no real problems until I bought the WMB.  If I change anything, it will be the WMB.   I can get the same type product from Creative for the same price, but went with the WMB because  I thought I trusted the brand more in regard to networking..
Fox
Fox

I found this picture below at the amazon web site.
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/wmb54g-1-lg.jpg

To me it looks like a different version of the WMB54G and if i am not mistaken it looks to have a removable antenna.Were there different versions made because i would be very interested of the one in the pic.
lawnboy4536

Not sure.   My antenna definitely doesn't look like that.
Oliver

You Rock, Joseph!!!
Josephb

Thank you, Oliver.
I am very happy that the tutorial helped you and that you got the WMB working.

Kudos and Congratulations!

Josephb.

Sumter

I could not get the WMB54G music bridge to connect to my wireless network.  I spent several hours trying everthing I could think of and I went through the tutorial Josephb left several times with no luck.  I spent 2 hours on live chat with Linksys without any success.  I don't recall if I saw it on this message center or on a Google search, but I read where one person changed his SSID to a 10 digit name and the WMB would connect.  I just tried the same thing and it works fine.  I changed the SSID in my router to a shorter name and then went to the setup screen for the WMB.  I let it search and find my new network name.  After that it worked fine.  Oh, one additional comment.  I had already changed the WMB IP address like described in the tutorial.  It seems odd that a short name would work when a longer one would not, but that's how mine turned out.
lawnboy4536

Yup, that was me.   I had been using a 17 character name that my WRT54GX4 router had generated for me, went to a 10 and was able to connect.   Just means the WMB firmware has a fixed limit on the SSID length that other software does not.   I have a different problem between my router and my PC now.   If I connect wired, I'm fine, but if I connect wireless, the router (or my adapter) drops my connection speed to 5.5Mbps after a random amount of time, which causes the WMB to play a bit, stop, play, stop, etc.   With other "normal" applications, I can sit at my desktop and run at 54Mbps all day and all night, only when I want to use my WMB (which is set to connect at 54Mbps).      Hopefully, this is the problem that engineering is working on for me, but can't give me a release date.    There is a known incompatibility with the GX4 router and the WMB, but it seems funny that my problem shows up between my desktop and the router.      Also, I can repair my adapter connection and it will reconnect at 54 Mbps and stay there UNTIL I RECONNECT TO THE WMB for a few minutes.

jcgc50

Let me add one other possible bit of information that might help someone. I am running XP SP2 have a WRT54G router. While it appeared that it was configured could not get the WMB54G to pick up wirelessly. Spent many hours with customer service and tried this tutorial but still could not get sound.

In the end I was back to customer service and this is the last thing we did. On the router I have PSK encryption, SSID disabled and MAC filtering enabled. When I enabled SSID broadcast and disabled MAC filtering it connected. Then I changed those settings back the way I had them and it continues to work.

Will hold my breath hoping to see it continue to work.

Hope this helps someone.
Marnix

I've read all the posts, tried absolutely everything.  I cannot get the WMB to connect.  It just won't find it with the startup wizard.

I have tried to plug it in directly in both my computers (PC and laptop) and into my router (D-link). No luck.  I think I have plenty of available IP adresses in my DHCP server (range is 192.169.100 - 199).  I am not a network guru at all, but I usually pride myself in solving computer problems.  However, I am about to give up on this thing.  Bought it on eBay, not going to send it back either.  It's been a waste of money so far.

I've read your tutorial on this forum Joseph and I've also sent you an e-mail to get the pdf.  I just can't get past the step to connect to the device.

I have a Mcafee firewall/viruscan.  I've tried to shut it off, added trusted IP's and ports.  Also tried to startup in safe mode with networking.

One thing I find odd is that when I plug it in directly into my laptop ethernet port, it tries to acquire a network address. After a while it fails and when I click on the details, the IP address it shows is 169.254.189.202.  Shouldn't this be 192.168.1.210??  I've pressed the reset button a million times on the WMB.

I'm lost and grumpy.  I think I'll go grab a beer to cool down.  Any tips anyone?

Marnix
simpwildcat

THIS IS ME TO A T!!! The above poster is having the EXACT same problem as I am, and I'm totally clueless as what to do...