echamp1

Re: WMG54G Music Bridge & Windows 7 - Anyone got it to work?

I haven't had any luck with any Windows 7 build, RC or beyond.  Anyone else have better results?  The application runs in XP compatability mode, but it can't find the device.  Like other users, I have an XP machine running side by side and it finds the device just fine.  Incredibly frustrating becuase I'd really like to test out Windows 7 but can't use it on my laptop because I use my laptop to stream music.  Linksys, please come through and release Windows 7 drivers for this device!!!!

(Or Microsoft, give us back our compatability!)

Dave528

I too have had this working on a 32bit Vista laptop, I had it working on my 64bit Vista Desktop with the Sirocco drivers though I had to turn the network lock off to get it to recognize it and it died as soon as the network lock was turned back on. Once I put W7 on both, no music bridge. It's a bummer as I love this box and wish Cisco would put their guru's to use on something that is not that complicated to use and you don't need a bailout to purchase. I will keep experimenting and hope I find something that works. Don't give up guys, we can find a solution even if they can't.:smileywink:

Dave

solero

Hi all,

I am the guy who started this thread. Since then I have tried everything again with all the various betas and the RC of Windows 7. I have tried all the suggestions from this thread also. I can't get it to work after trying every setting I can humanly think of. I don't believe the Vista driver or perhaps the WMB54G task tray program will actually run under Win 7.

I really urge Cisco to put out a driver to allow us users to upgade our operating systems. When the WMB54G works correctly it is a brilliant device. I have two of them, one at my house in UK and another at my holiday home in Spain. I use them for hours every day and they work flawlessly.

Come on Cisco!!

josst10

Haaa....Not an owner for long are you.  

"Yes WMB54G is not compaitable with Windows 7, as Windows 7 is not fully test and its not been officialy Launched by Microsoft, its just an beta Version."

First, that is a weak argument.  The good comanies have drivers in testing or released.  My Lenovo Tablet PC x200 has almost all of its drivers in 7 and an update page.  

Second, this guy apparantly didnt go through the "Vista Wait" with Cisco during the XP to Vista conversion...Vista RTM'd in November 8, 2006 and Vista drivers for the wmb54g came out in late 2007.  Almost a year later. 

solero

josst10 - If you are replying to me then you are wrong. I have had three of these units since they came out.

However, unlike a lot of people, I never saw the need to 'upgrade' to Vista as WinXP did everything I needed at the time. We are told by many manufacturers that Vista drivers will work with their products under Win 7. No so for the WMB54G.

If Cisco don't pull out a finger and produce a driver for a relatively recent product then all it can serve to do is make people wary of buying any more of their products. After all since the WMB54G was released there are other means of distributing you music around your house available now.

bryawn

I've found this device to work really well with an XP computer. I like it a lot and would like to get another one or two to feed music to other parts of the house. Unfortunately, we are planning to upgrade our computers to Windows 7.

I've tried just about everything I can think of to get it working with Windows 7 and no dice. I even installed a VM running XP. While this appeared to work and the XP image could see the Music Bridge, it didn't actually switch the sound over.  Probably something to do with the way the VM works, but not sure.

Has anyone heard of any third party/open source software that would work with this device? Hopefully Linksys/Cisco will release a functional driver at some point, but it would be nice to have a backup plan that works.

echamp1

I'd really like to see compatability for Windows 7 with this device.  Is there any way that we can petition Linksys to create compatable drivers and software for Win7?  Even if it means creating an online petition?  Speaking of which, is anyone at Linksys reading these message boards...?  If there is someone, can you give us a company stance on the situation?  Will we ever see drivers for Windows 7?

Another question, I'm not happy about abandoning this device as it works great in XP, but does anyone know of any other wifi device that provides the same functionality as the WMB54G?  Perhaps another device will work in Windows 7, and I might consider "upgrading" if something comes across.  So far, I've had a hard time finding anything that does the same thing, most wireless audio players are just wifi MP3 players, I love that this thing plays any audio coming out of your PC, and all without needing to plug anything extra into the computer.

bryawn

Hah. Got it work. :smileyhappy: You have to follow the same recipe as for Vista, as detailed in this thread here.

The startup is a bit of a pain, but it actually does work. On my computer at least, you also do have to set it as the default device. But once it's working, all the functionality is there. Whew.

Yes, I agree with echamp1 that alternatives to this device are not easily found. Most seem to be geared to videos, or are a LOT more expensive.

josst10

Not you Solero there was another quote I saw about Windows 7 being in beta and to give Cisco time to release drivers for 7 and I just hate that argument.  My point was that it took them over a year to get Vista drivers out after RTM so my expectations are not high.  You sound just like myself...I think its funny that I go through this entire W7 Beta and the ONLY driver to not work is this product--once again. 

I was recently a beta tester for a wrt610n firmware issue and was amazed at what was being tested--it seemed to have nothing to do with router issues that we are all having but a new way for them to make money...I'm all for making money but that means an engineers time was being spent on something other than fixing issues that many users are having with their router....And this is one of their top products.

As I look around and see about 10 blue and black products in my house however, I'm beginning to think I enjoy the pain.:smileyhappy:

echamp1

Bryawn, I got excited by your results last night and spent an hour trying it (again), but it will not work for me, and I'm trying out version 7600.  CMFLYWAV.exe crashes every time I try to start it, whether it is in compatability mode or not.  Anyone else having any luck? 

cmadss works... I bet that if we could get CMFLYWAV to run, the utility might actually detect our devices in Windows 7.