solero

WMG54G Music Bridge & Windows 7 - Anyone got it to work?

I have been trying to install the utility program, which includes the driver, for the Linksys WMB54G Music Bridge. So far I have failed to make it work under Win7. After much research on many forums I seem to be able to get the utility to run and according to the Win7 hardware manager the driver is loaded and installed and working correctly. Unfortunately, when I scan for my device it does not appear in the utility and thus I cannot play music through it.

I should say at this stage that the device control page is fully accessible on my network by using a browser on Win7 so it is 'seen' by the system.

These are the things I have done:-

1) Installed the Vista computable version of the utility and driver (V1.3).
2) Tried to connect to the bridge both by ethernet and WiFi.
3) Have tried setting all the executable files to run with WinXP (SP2) compatibility and as administrator.
4) Have tried with UAC and the Windows Firewall off.
5) Have tried setting a static IP address with other associated parameters.
6) Have searched many forums but am unable to find anyone using (or failing) with this device on Win7.

I know this is a long shot as this isn't a terribly popular piece of kit, but when it does work it is excellent. I'm wondering if anyone has heard any information or got this working, or not.

Maybe I'll just have to content myself with the fact that this device (with the existing Vista driver) doesn't work with Win7.

Thanks for reading.

Sol.

Edit/Delete Message

dibbler

Re: WMG54G Music Bridge & Windows 7 - Anyone got it to work?

Yes WMB54G is not compaitable with Windows 7, as Windows 7 is not fully test and its not been officialy Launched by Microsoft, its just an beta Version. As far as your Windows XP and Vista are concern it should work with both. When you open the WMB54G utility , you need to click on Site Survey and select your network and click on Connect, when that Utility becomes Green then again you need to right click on it and select Play Music from WMB54G, it works that way.
jaquintd

I'd be very interested to know when this works for Windows 7 because I am already running the beta (and soon RC). Why doesn't the utility work in windows compatibility mode? I hope it will in the RC or final. Please have a Windows 7 version in the works Linksys!
echamp1

I'd love to hear if anyone can get this thing running on Windows 7.  I've tried it on the Release Candidate but with no success.  It just refuses to find the wmb54g device.  Every now and then, when used in conjunction with the Sirrocco drivers available from their website, I've been able to get the WMB54G utility to find my device, but I can't seem to get it to stream my audio.  I've even tried changing the audio output to the Linksys device, but no luck.  Any updates from anyone?

bryawn

I can't even get the Music Bridge Utility to start up. Crashes instantly.  Thinking that a Windows XP VM may be the only solution.
Viventis

I am running Win 7, 64 bit RC and have another computer with Win XP, 32.  I know that the Music Bridge is correctly configured because the XP machine sees it and it works.

You can install the utility on the Win 7 machine in Safe Mode or set the "Setup" file to run in XP mode with administrator rights.  I have done it both ways.  In fact, I was able to set up the bridge and update the firmware with my Win 7 machine, although I would not recommend it (the first time I tried, it "failed" and I was worried).

The utility opens fine when set to Win XP mode and run as an administrator.  Oddly enough, it will not open when set to Vista compatibility.  However, the Win 7 machine does not "see" the Music Bridge and therefore cannot connect to it.  The two computers see each other and I regularly share files between them.

It doesn't solve the problem but might help someone do so.  With patience I was able to solve the "Punkbuster" kick problem on games that use it so I am cautiously optimistic.

Has anyone successfully used the Bridge with a Vista 64 machine?

jaquintd

I also got the utility working in windows 7 running it in xp compatibilty mode, the problem is the utility won't find the device... not sure what to try at this point!
Viventis

Since I am able to use the Music Bridge on my XP machine, it seems that it is correctly configured for my wireless network.  I just used the setup utility that I downloaded from Linksys (not the disc that came with the Bridge).  That said, would it make any difference if I reconfigured the Music Bridge using the web-based utility?
jaquintd

I've tried to tweak many settings with my router and both the regular and web utility without any luck. My router recognizes the device fine and it is connected to wireless and all... just isn't detected in the utility to make the sound drivers work, etc. I'm afraid we'll have to wait until Linksys has an official windows 7 version... hopefully they do! I haven't even been able to use mine yet because I bought it used and was already running windows 7.
bryawn

[ Edited ]

I tried compatibility mode, both XP and Vista, and it still crashes when starting up. Will try to re-install.

I have an old laptop running XP and I was able to get it working. Here are the issues:

- Client app won't start on Windows 7. It can't be that complex of an app.

- Implementation of WEP 128 is bad. I can only get it to work with WEP 64. Hopefully WPA will work, but haven't attempted yet.

- Crashes router's wireless connection after about 5 minutes of playing time.

Really disappointed as this thing seemed so cool. I already spend way to much time on this. Will attempt again with a different router. If it fails, will have to RMA...

Message Edited by bryawn on 06-05-2009 04:54 PM
(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)
Message Edited by kent07 on 06-05-2009 05:19 PM