arieh0310

HND with Mac?

I am looking to purchase Home Network Defender, but I noticed that LELA requires either XP or Vista.  I only have Apple and Linux machines on my network.  Can I use HND on my network?  If HND is router-based can't I just administer the service through a browser like I would administer the settings on the router itself?
Linksys
spencer

Re: HND with Mac?

HND requires LELA which only runs on Win XP or Vista.   HND utilizes LELA as the control point so you cannot use a browser.  Do you have parallel or vmware to load windows?

arieh0310

No, I am not going to pay for a Windows license just to run LELA.  Trend Micro should just allow it to be administered via a browser so that no one has to load yet more software on their PC to administer something that runs on a router.  Linksys used to have a content filtering service for the WRT54GS that was administered through a browser.
Linksys
spencer

In the future we will move the control aspects of HND towards the web.  But that wont be for some time.  The reason why we utilize LELA is because LELA has a lot of easy setup, configure, and management tools built in.

Sorry we can't earn your business due to the OS issue.

auslander1138

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I wanted to ask about using HND with non-windows clients...

I have a Windows server running the LELA service/utility, but I wanted to know if I can use the HND service with non-Windows clients

It would seem that my daughter's linux laptop is not picking up any sort of policy or restrictions, regardless of settings.

Any ideas or comments on compatibility with non-Windows clients, *but* using the LELA service to control the HND service?

Thanks,

aus

Linksys
spencer

While you need to use LELA on a PC to configure HND, you should be able to control non-windows/PC clients.  For example, I've been able to set restrictions on my Wii, iPod Touch, and Mac.

a) Did your daughter's linux laptop show up on the LELA map? If so, please click the dropdown to configure security and you should be able to add restrictions.

b) Does HND work for the other devices on your home network?

c) Can you provide me with your router model and LELA version?

Thanks.

auslander1138

Hi there,

Thanks for your note.

In reply to your follow up questions:

a) my daughter's laptop does show up on the LELA map and this is where I made the change to the security policy but it didn't seem to take effect (using either Firefox or Opera on Ubuntu)

b) I tried HND with my iPod Touch and it worked as advertised...also another Windows laptop worked as well

c) Linksys WRT310-n and LELA version  3.11 (build 9082.90)

Thanks again!

aus

Linksys
spencer

Can I get more details regarding your daughter's laptop?  What type of restrictions are you placing (i.e. parental control category blocking and/or Safe Web Surfing)?  So let's say you are trying to block social networking - are you saying that she's still able to go to facebook?

Is her laptop proxy'ing through another computer/port?  or is it standard port 80?

auslander1138

Sure thing... I had configured her laptop using the "out of the can" restrictions of "Kids (Age: Under 13)

Her laptop is not going through any proxy; accessing via standard port 80 over wireless.

Thanks,

aus

Linksys
spencer

Thanks for trying.  I will private message.  I'd like to get one more piece of info from you so we can investigate.