JeffRichard

Home Network Defender Nightmare

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased a Linksys WRT610N router and love the hardware, the home network defender service is a total nightmare. I purchased the router because of the dual band capability; I needed to separate my streaming media for computer and mobile devices. I also purchased the device for the home network defender service as another layer of protection for my home network and small children who are just learning to use computers.  I downloaded the latest router firmware (1.00.02 B10) and latest version of LELA (3.1.8347.79) and installed both without any problems. Once I had LELA configured and all of my network devices discovered I moved on to activate the 30 trial of home network defender. The sign up process completed successfully and provided me with a serial # as the instruction guide indicated.  HND setup default is to enable both web safe browsing and parental control.  At this point I was being blocked from social network sites such as facebook because of the web safe browsing policy set to medium for the entire network, the error message indicated HND had blocked the site and the message was coming from the router.

This is where the real problems start, I went into the security configuration option for the network and disabled the web safe browsing feature, when I clicked save I was asked to provide my username and password. This was the expected behavior as documented in the setup guide. When I entered my user name and password I received a warning message that said the Home Network Defender service had not been activated.  I went back into the user information page and confirmed the user information was saved, and tried to logon again - same error. At this point I was unable to make any changes to the network policies because the save action forces the user to authenticate.

With my network locked down tight I started a tech support live chat session through the Linksys website - I figured this would be a straight forward problem. Online tech support told me they do not support HND beyond the installation of the product, I was beyond that point, and that I needed to call Trend Micro tech support. So, I visited Trend Micro's website, looked up the tech support phone number and gave them a call. They informed me that support for HND was provided by Linksys not Trend Micro. So, I called Linksys technical support they informed me that Linksys customer service would help with the account activation problem. I called Linksys customer service, they indicated that HND was a new product and I would need to talk with tier 2 support, so I waited on hold for nearly an hour. Tier 2 support then informed me that Trend Micro supports account related problems and that I would need to contact them. We discussed my prior calls and the tier 2 engineer escalated to her manager, who confirmed Trend Micro supports account activation issues. So, on to Trend Micro support again, who in turn said Linksys is responsible for all support of HND.

With my network locked tight, I tried flashing the WRT610N firmware again, I hoped that might clear the HND configuration, it did not. I checked all of the router configuration tabs - nothing about how to disable HND, the built in policy tab produces an error message saying HND is active and the router feature was disabled. I uninstalled LELA, and checked the configuration guide on removing HND, no help. At this point I was down to one option, reset the router to factory default, which thankfully did the trick, HND was no longer configured on the router.

So here is the real kicker - neither Trend Micro or Linksys know who or how to support the product and are pointing figures at each other. I'm the customer stuck in the middle with no one to turn too, I've escalated, tried web support, phone support, and neither company seems to get it.

Until someone from Trend Micro or Linksys offers a resolution for this activation problem and provides clear guidance on how to get support for HND, I will not use the service.

(Mod Note: Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)

Message Edited by daikunzeon on 02-25-2009 05:54 AM
Linksys
spencer

Re: Home Network Defender Nightmare

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the problems.  I've just private messaged you to set up a conference call so we can resolve your issues with HND.

Thanks-

Linksys
spencer

Just sent you info on a call-in.  Please let me know.
eriddle

Spencer, I'm having the EXACT same problem with my WRT610N.  Right down to tech support wanting me to ping pong to Trend Micro.  AND while I was on the phone with tech support they had me reconfigure my wireless settings (After we had made changed I was asked by your support "Why are we chaning the wireless again?" - I was flabbergasted because never did I ever say anything about wireless conectivity however now my iPhone wont connect to the network even if I turn WEP off!!!)

My network is being held hostage by HND and I'm not a happy camper... Anything that you can do to help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Linksys
spencer

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I sent you a Private message to further discuss.
JeffRichard

[ Edited ]

Hi Spencer,

Thanks again for offering to discuss the problem, as I noted in my email to you last night the activation problem eventually corrected itself. Perhaps the activation service was unavailable when I registered?  Allow me to offer a few observations, and recommondations for future product enhancements:

1. The users (me) expectation is that the activation process should be instantaneous, not take 24 hours to complete.

2. The default setting of enabling web and content policies at registration time, regardless of activation is a problem. Because the user can't change or disable the policies until the activation has completed results an unacceptable user experience.

3. Active user feedback about the status of the activation request would be helpful, an email or web page would be ideal.

4. And the elephant in the room - support of the product installation, registration, activation and problems should be seamless to the user. When I look at the copyright of LELA it says Linksys, I expect Linksys to support me - period.

5. Need a clear way to shut off the HND from the router configuration. The only way I could find to disable HND was to restore the router to factory default - not acceptable. What happens if my subscription expires? If I want to cancel?

Message Edited by JeffRichard on 02-26-2009 05:16 AM
Linksys
spencer

Jeff,

Thanks for the response.  Based on your experience, there might have been a few scenerios that might have occured.  License data is synced every 5 minutes, and therefore, you might have accessed the HND features before the account creation was complete.  So that may explain why the problem corrected itself.

In regards to turning off HND, within the HND menus - you can turn OFF the features by clicking the On/Off button.  Unfortuntely at this time, we do not provide a way to turn off HND within the router GUI (192.168.x.x).  We will be investigating and adding that option in the near future.  Finally in regards to product support, please be patient as we figure out how we can smooth the process between Linksys/Trend.

Again, I apologize for the situation. 

-Spencer

JeffRichard

Hi,

I think there was another problem going on when I tried to activate the service, hours passed before I gave up - not 5 minutes. Perhaps there is a "true up" ever 24 hours to catch items that fall through a 5 minute sync process?

I understand the on/off button is available for each service, my problem was that with out activation I could not save the change. 

jaytime

[ Edited ]

Having read all of the above (because I am experiencing the exact same problem as the topic starter) the solution is to wait 24 hours for the activation to finish?  after which the home defender can be either configured or disabled?

Message Edited by jaytime on 03-02-2009 01:30 PM
Message Edited by jaytime on 03-02-2009 01:30 PM
Linksys
spencer

Jay,

Can you please private message me your contact info (phone, email)?  I'd like to set up a time to speak with you and gather more details.  The 'workaround' we have in place is not a good solution and we'd like to better understand the cause so we can fix it.

Thanks-

Spencer