Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
nikadeamus

How to remove home network defender from my router

[ Edited ]

I took the free trial of home network defender and hated it now I want to remove it. I call Cisco tech support they had me uninstall network magic that did not work upon re installing network magic it was still there and so are the setting I had selected for router. I do not want it turned down I want it remove back to the way it was before the free trial please help I am running windows 7 pro.

Nicholas j. Rothgerber
markdevries

Re: How to remove home network defender from my router

I asked Cisco for the same help, to uninstall HND, but they didn't know how.  They claimed that all I had to do was turn off all monitoring & reporting, and it would be "gone".  But, that's a layman's approach, and of course doesn't eliminate the software/config on the router.  I want it really gone!

mhammon

It appears that the only way to get rid of it for good is to reset your router to factory default.  But because you can't configure Home Defender on the router it's self there isn't anything you can do other remove all restrictions.  Linksys really needs to have a way to remove it from the router GUI.

Good luck.

rwhowes

I just bought a new Linksys Router and went back to System Restore to factory settings on Windows Vista and reloaded the programs I wanted and I don't have Network Magic on my computer anymore but I still have Home Network Defender on my computer.  So going from WRT 160n V3 to EA4500 with new installs, tell me how Home Network Defender which I did not install is still on my computer blocking sites.   Believe me Linksys from Cisco is garbage equipment because even they don't know and keep changing the subject when you talk to them in the Live Chat like they don't want to answer your questions.  The technical aspect is just as bad.  I have paid for a driver updater, and it even blocks me from downloading the driver updates.  What a rip off.  If anyone knows the company that manufactured Home Network Defender please post it as I like to give them a piece of my mind.   Costing me a lot of time for nothing.

thebluemamba_24

rwhowes wrote:

I just bought a new Linksys Router and went back to System Restore to factory settings on Windows Vista and reloaded the programs I wanted and I don't have Network Magic on my computer anymore but I still have Home Network Defender on my computer.  So going from WRT 160n V3 to EA4500 with new installs, tell me how Home Network Defender which I did not install is still on my computer blocking sites.   Believe me Linksys from Cisco is garbage equipment because even they don't know and keep changing the subject when you talk to them in the Live Chat like they don't want to answer your questions.  The technical aspect is just as bad.  I have paid for a driver updater, and it even blocks me from downloading the driver updates.  What a rip off.  If anyone knows the company that manufactured Home Network Defender please post it as I like to give them a piece of my mind.   Costing me a lot of time for nothing.

Although NM was already uninstalled on your computer; the settings were still saved on the router since HND was configured before. So the only way to completely remove HND from the system is to reset the router then reconfigure the router from scratch.

Mickeal

I also fell victim to that awfull Network Home Defender !!!!  Wouldn't be so bad, if they let me try it, as implied with the 30 day free trial, BUT to not allow me to disable or remove the Defender is terrible...I had to hard reset my router to get rid of it... Thank goodness that procedure worked, even though I had to reconfigure my router and reenter all my information... Was still worth the extra effort...

Mickeal

rwhowes

Thank you thebluemamba_24.  Your diagnois was the correct formula to get rid of HND and am totally grateful for the cure.  You have a nice day and may it be bright.  Thanks.