Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jman219

2 computers hooked up with EFAH05W hub, only 1 online

Hi, I am trying to set up 2 computers using a Linksys EFAH05W hub. I have one ethernet cord going from the uplink on the hub to the modem, another going from port 1 to one computer and one from port 2 to the other computer. Only the first computer that is powered on will come online. The other one says local area connection only. I have tried switching ports and resetting everything, but still which ever computer comes on first gets online. Any help would be appreciated! justin
ACS_Indy

Re: 2 computers hooked up with EFAH05W hub, only 1 online

You can't just put a hub behind a modem.  You need a router.  If you have already invested in a hub and can't take it back, you could buy a single port firewall/router and put it between the modem and the hub.  If you can take the hub back, exchange it for a router with four ports.
jman219

wait whats the difference between a hub and a router?? Mine on the front says EtherFast 10/100 5-port workgroup hub Model #EFAH05W. On the back there is 5 ports one says uplink and the others are numbered 1 to 4.
ACS_Indy

sounds like a hub.  if you had a router, it would have a port labeled WAN to connect to the modem and other ports labeled LAN to connect your computers.  what's the difference?  at the risk of being a smart aleck, one will do what you want and the other won't.
Ricewind

Hub is non-intelligent device that works only with the Incoming Connection .... provides connections to connected devices .....
While router is DHCP Device that provides IP address to all the devices connected to it ....
If you are using Modem >> Hub >> 2 Computers ...
then only one computer will go online at a time ....
If you are using Modem >> Router >> 2 Computers ....
The nboth the computers will go online at the same time .... also you can add more computers to it ....

bobbyv

Everyone is wrong about using as hub and only one computer can be online at a time.
I have a 5 port Workgroup Hub and have had two computers hooked up to it for 5 years until recently when the hub just crashed. My wife & I work online at the same time. 
Frankie101

so how i connect both my computer using 5-port linksys hub efah05w
OmarAziz

i have a modem to hub connection. that has a computer and xbox connected to it, whenever the xbox is on the internet wont get any connection. why?

modem uses Ethernet---> hub has 2 ethernets leaving---> go to back of xbox 360 and back of computer ethernet port.