Umpa

Hubs/Switches - whats the difference.

Hello on my home network I have a WRT54GS  Router that feeds a 16 port Workgroup Network switch EZXS16W which feeds all my upstairs machines, feeding off this is a length of networking cable which powers a Linksys EZXS88 8 Port Workgroup switch this feeds my 360's Xbox1 and MCE Extenders & Linksys WAP54G all on the bottom floor.

I find that this works well as I have the wireless router on one side of the house and a WAP54 access point on the other, so wireless is covered all over the house.

Ok so now that you have an idea of what I'm doing heres the problem, I need to run another network cable into next doors house, (dont worry we own it) and on the end of that wire I want to fit another switch so that I can then route network cables all over that house. I ordered my switch, but did not look properly at the site and ordered a HUB instead of a SWITCH.  The item in question being a EFAH08W, I have looked at the specs from here :-

and here

But I dont know what the difference between the two really is, and can I attach this hub without any performance loss. This section is to power more MCE Extenders and to stream Divx to PC's MP3 ect Basically the same as in the other house.

Regards

Ump..
Umpa

Re: Hubs/Switches - whats the difference.

I wish I had read the sticky now
Gollum

you can check on the website itself ...the Switch gives 10/100 Dual-Speed Per-Port...it is perfect for Optimizing 10BaseT and 100BaseTX Hardware on the Same Network...also it speeds of Up To 200Mbps in Full Duplex Operation However the hub provides speed upto 100Mbps .... each Port Automatically Adjusts to Either 10Mbps or 100Mbps Speeds... So the better one for your network is Switch ...
Backlum Chaam

to put it simply, a hub sends all the data to all the ports and its up to the node to figure out which data is for it.  a switch sends the data to the specific port that the data is supposed to go to.

its kinda like the difference between mail that is addressed directly to you vs junk mail that goes out to everyone.

theres some other details and so forth but I hope that makes sense.
http://www.airspaceonline.com