Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
pic_az

KVM 2 Port

I have been using my 2 Port Switch with no issues. I just got a new T-60 IBM laptop that I can no longer use my port replicator that had PS2 keyboard and mouse ports. I have connected the keyboard and mouse to dual connector that outputs to a USB connector. Everything was working well until I pressed the delete key and it deleted all my email. It acted like the key was stuck. I tried this a couple of times and the same thing occurred. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks, Joey

Re: KVM 2 Port -- not a fix but my findings....

I have been experiencing the same issue (2-port KVM "see thread below" connected to IBM 8810-D7U that acts like a key is "stuck").  Response to Ctrl+Alt+Del is consistent on logon but it's REALLY dicy from there on out.

Further testing showed this:

Swapped Linksys KVM2KIT for another unit (we have many in our inventory) no change in performance.  Changed keyboard (this is the only PS/2 appliance which fails -- mouse ALWAYS works fine) -- no change in performance.  Connected a Mac keyboard directly to the chassis (no KVM) and it works. 

Swapped the Linksys KVM2KIT for a 4-port Linksys F1DB104P switch and all works (system senses PS/2 devices a little slow but it does work).

Going back to the PS/2-to-USB dongles I have tested using both TRENDnet TU-PS2 and Linksys F5U119-E and both work for the 4-port KVM but BOTH fail for the 2-port KVM2KIT.

For this reason I do not believe that the issue lies in the dongle but in the KVM (which I hate to say).  I'm not sold on this 100% but the fact that either dongle functions on the 4-port Linksys KVM but not on the 2-port and you have to look seriously at the 2-port device.

I have not had a chance this week to test this further.  I'm wondering if the KVM is not passing signals properly from the PS/2 pin-out to the USB I/O.  I have gone through the IBM BIOS and looked for any legacy support (USB) but didn't see anything appropriate.  I tried setting the type rate to "Normal" and that seemed to help but overall haven't found much in the BIOS to help.

My OS installation on the 8810-D7U is XP SP2 (fully patched w/o IE7), JRE 6, no RDP, no other USB devices attached. 
pic_az

I also have a 4 port here that I will test and send you the results. Thanks for your reply.

I just got a reply from Trendnet support on their PS/2-to-USB dongle:

There are two types of KVM switches emulation and pass through; tech support has had some success using the TU-PS2 with pass through KVM switches and not with emulation switches.

This likely explains the difference in performance of the KVMs as I'd guess that the KVM2KIT is an emulation type where the 4-port was a pass through.  Dunno but I'll see about finding that information.