Gigaman8
Accepted Solution

How to install a second drive?

I just received my Media Hub that has a 1 TB drive.  I also ordered a 2nd 1 TB drive which will arrive tomorrow.  Is it best to perform the initial installation with the 2nd new drive installed?   Or is it best to do the intitial setup without the new 2nd drive and setup the 2nd drive after the first drive has been configure?
Wilkins377

Re: How to install a second drive?

I think its best to setup the mediahub with one harddrive first then add the 2nd harddrive later.

Adding a 2nd Hard Disk in NMH Series

Cheers.

frobber777

[ Edited ]

This guide suggests when installing a 2nd hard disk, the data is automatically erased form the 1st.
Is this the case of just a mistake in the document?

This seems like backwards logic to me.  If you have a single drive installed (linear 1 mode), adding a second drive you should be able to select "RAID1" or continue with "linear 1" without erasing the first disk.  Only if you selected "linear 2" would the 1st disk need to be erased.

fhizoo8

i think that a good point there.

however, for a peace of mind just backup your files (if possible).

SpudNuts

I agree. If I have one disk installed and add a second, I should be able to configure RAID 1 and it should do a build onto the second drive.

Maybe because its not originally setup in RAID then it has to create a new array from scratch. That would destroy everything and start a new.

artis9278

so how to install the 2nd drive without erasing the data on the first drive? appreciate your expertise.

Volkstech1

What is that max size HDD that a NMH media hub can hold?

cougar694u

I've confirmed using a 3TB disk, but max usable size is 2TB.  This is an MBR limitation.  I don't think the NMH can support GPT disks.