GuidoNet
Accepted Solution

NMH300 and hard drives with 4kB sectors size

Hi

Does anybody know if the NMH300 does support hard drives with 4kB sectors or only 512B size?
If yes, how do HDs with 4k sectors perform?

What I know: XP does not really like HDs with 4k sector size. W7 has no problems.

Thank you for your feedback.

Wilkins377

Re: NMH300 and hard drives with 4kB sectors size

No, it won't work since the new harddrives with 4k sectors require newer HardDrive controller chips to be recognized. To be safe just refer to the NMH Series Hardware Tested List .

Cheers.

melodicminor

It wont work? 

Well, best I take my two WD20EARS back out then and pretend that they havent been working without fault for the last 3 weeks then!

For best performance, ensure that the mediahub aligns its partititons correctly (check this with a linux live distro - such as ubuntu) no thtat this really matters as the mediahub is a slow old horsecart anyway.

GuidoNet

Sorry, I did not write why it is solved. First it just works with the NMH30x :smileywink:. Second to avoid increased access time due to a possible 4k sector misalignments  of older OS (like XP) pls read Western Digital's home page. Depending on the HD type you can set the advanced format jumper (check for your drive type: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&lang=en) or download a SW which moves the first sector to a 4 k boundary. But not both should be done!

Note: Windows 7 does not need this and for Linux it depends on the kernel version.

Rgds

sousaje

Hi!

Could you please tell me how you got the WD20EARS to work? My recently bought NMH300 does not recognise my 2 hard disks and does not stop blinking when I turn it on.

Probably I need to upgrade its firmware but don't have a hard disk in the compatibility list available to get it to work.

Thanks for your help!

sousaje

Answering my own question... I had to ask for a RMA and with my recently received new NMH300 the WD20EARS were recognised straight away without problems! I successfully configured them also in RAID1...