Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
armandotoledo
Accepted Solution

NMH300 installation problems

Hi, I just bought a NMH300 but I'm having problems to set-up it to work. I have a 1TB WD Caviar Black (I know the disk is OK because I have also tried to connect it directly to my PC and I was able to format it). When I turn the NMH300 on the blower speeds up, them reduces, the drive one light goes on, the power light starts to blink fast, after some seconds the drive light goes off and nothing happens. The installation disk says it could not find the Media Hub. The Media Hub green light on the network port stays on and the orange one blinks some times. But if I check the log in the router it did not gave an IP address for the media hub. I have also tried to power it won pressing the reset button with no results. Any other recommendation ? Thanks in advance and best regards, Armando.
JustCurious

Re: NMH300 installation problems

Hi Armandotoledo,

Without getting into the specific steps of what you have tried, here are some things I would check for.

1)      Make sure the hard disk is in slot 1 of the system and make sure the drive snaps into place.

2)      If this hard drive has been used before make sure you delete its partition.  Please see page 53 of the user’s guide for more information.  You can find the manual in the download section of the support forum.

3)      Allow time for the media hub to reformat the hard drive once you have installed it.

4)      Your description stated you see a green light on the Ethernet port.  If true then it looks like the unit is running at 100Mbit and not 1Gbit.  If your router or switch works at 1Gbit, then I would investigate why.

5)      Try and see if you can get to the media at http://mediahub if you are using a Windows computer.  If you are using a Macintosh, then try http://mediahub.local

6)      Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds as see if the unit goes back to it’s factory defaults.

Good Luck!

Mared1784

In addition to what JustCurious said, since you have an NMH300 please check the model number of the HDD you inserted on the link below if it's one of the hardware tested list.

NMH Hardware Tested List

armandotoledo

OK. Here you have the answers

1) Make sure the hard disk is in slot 1 of the system and make sure the drive snaps into place.

- It is correctly connected and is on slot 1 

2) If this hard drive has been used before make sure you delete its partition.  Please see page 53 of the user’s guide for more information.  You can find the manual in the download section of the support forum.

- As requested I have it cleaned. Now under Vista it says "931,51GB unallocated" 

3) Allow time for the media hub to reformat the hard drive once you have installed it.

- Installation program asked for 15 min. I have re-started the search 3 times and still can not find it. 

4) Your description stated you see a green light on the Ethernet port.  If true then it looks like the unit is running at 100Mbit and not 1Gbit.  If your router or switch works at 1Gbit, then I would investigate why.

- It is correct, my router is 100/100 

5) Try and see if you can get to the media at http://mediahub if you are using a Windows computer.  If you are using a Macintosh, then try http://mediahub.local

- Can not find it. By the way, the router log still not shows an ip address gave to the NMH300 

6) Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds as see if the unit goes back to it’s factory defaults. 

-  Did it with no different results.

Regarding the question about the disk compatibility, it is compatible. Is a WD 1001FALS

Any other idea about what can I do ?

Thanks again and best regards,

Armando. 

armandotoledo

Just one additional comment. The animation during the installation shows the drive number turned on and the power blue light blinks with a "rate" around 8 blinks in 10 seconds. In my case the drive 1 lights gets on and latter gets off and the blinking frequence is much higher (something like 60 times in 10 seconds). Any clue ? Tks !
armandotoledo

Team, my NMH300 continue to be seated here turned off. Anyone with any other suggestion ? Any clue about what I mentioned regarding the blue light blinking fast ? What about the drive number turning on but after sometime off ? Any suggestion from the Linksys team ? Thanks again, Armando.
muhamali

Hi,

Same is the case here, I am desparately in need of help before doing something stupid and thus loosing all the data. Here is what I have done that end up with this situation:

1. NMH300 was working fine with linear1 single disk mode untill I removed the DISK-A from BAY1 and replaced with another DISK-B to accumulate some other data that worked fine as well. DISK-A was left out of MediaHub to rest.

2. After a week I needed some data out of DISK-A and thus replaced DISK-B with DISK-A with no configuration changes.

And when I am turning MediaHub ON, the BAY-1 light goes off after a while with the Power light endlessly flashing fast.

Please suggest a work around to recover data from the DISK-A using NMH300 or Windows platform via USB.

Looking forwards,

Ali 

Wilkins377

Hi,

I just want to share my thoughts about your problem, the WD 1TB Black (WD1001FALS) disk was not on the initial hardware compatible list when the mediahub was released, so it could be that the WD 1TB Black compatibility was only added when used together with the latest firmware (fw 3.18.4). If you have a different harddrive that you can use on the mediahub, try to use that harddrive first and check if that harddrive will work with the mediahub, if it does then temporarily setup the mediahub with that harddrive then upgrade the firmware of the mediahub. Once the firmware has been updated, you can then swap to the WD 1TB Black harddrive and setup the mediahub again.

I hope this helps.

armandotoledo

Problem solved. I called Linksys RMA and it was a defective unit. Just received the new one and is working perfectly.