enigmab17

Re: Slowness/Inaccessible

Welll prior to doing a full rebuild via slotting the 2 drives into a pc, i tried just swapping their positions, and wiping them, then re-creating the raid array but the same thing is happening again...copying files over just kills the network connection on it

enigmab17

Only option is to go down the ubunu route, boot into a ubuntu live cd, and try and reformat them from there me thinks

Here's to hoping anyway, short of that, i'll have to change a hdd, and then finally the box :/

enigmab17

right so i've done as advised!

The drives have been formatted/partitioned using ubuntu and then ported back over into the nas followed the instructions to the letter so heres to hoping.

Will advise once i've had a chance to copy stuff across see if the issue reoccurs.

sLiCkyWoRm

Give us updates! This would be a good workaround solution!

enigmab17

Well all going fine so far, 200gb copied across thus far and no network issues, it was around this stage that I started getting network errors the last time I formatted them so fingers crossed

cougar694u

Awesome!  Keep us updated.

enigmab17

copying still going ok! Relatively slow at about ~10mb/s on a lan but its getting there.

Still all good thus far nearly 1.5 tb copied across.

cougar694u

[ Edited ]

It might be showing you MB/s versus mb/s.  If you're getting 10MB/s, that's 80mb/s.  Mine runs consistenly around 12MB/s (96mbps), but if it's indexing all the new files, it will slow performance.

Good to hear it's no longer dropping from the network.  That was the biggest headache I ever had with mine.

enigmab17

Yep smooth sailing thus far! :smileyhappy:

Its actually going at about 5MB/s probably because its going from my backup nas (which only has a 10/100 port, and is generally quite slow anyway), to this one, but heres to hoping it keeps the pace, been copying for 2 days now without one connection drop so fingers crossed! 

Thanks for the assist will update again once backup is completed.

enigmab17

As the process of moving all my data from my backup to the nas completes everything thus far has gone great!

I can say that this method described before seems to have done the job perfectly !