hemohemo

replace harddisk with larger capacity

My NMH405 now runs with two 500GB disks in RAID1. I want upgrade both disks to 1T (or maybe 2T). Please advise if the following steps make sense:

1) power off NMH.

2) replace slot B with a larger capacity disk (i.e. slot A = 500G, slot B = 1T).

3) power up NMH and rebuild RAID1. I guess the total capacity still remains as 500G, right?

4) power off NMH.

5) replace slot A with a larger capacity disk (i.e. slot A = 1T, slot B = 1T).

6) power up NMH and rebuild RAID1.

Now does the capacity remain as 500G or 1T? Or it doesn't work?

Thanks.

cs

NetworkTricker

Re: replace harddisk with larger capacity

Hi,

I got hook up to this post. Very interesting. I haven't tried doing such thing. However, I guess you will get  a 1 TB info when rebuild is done for both 1TB drives.  Besides, there's no need to worry in doing so coz other 500 drives still has the files so I think it's worth trying for.

kindred

Hello hemohemo,

RAID1 is a type of configuration which replicates the entire disk volume with the configuration of the 500GB disk to the 1TB and Yes the capacity will still remain as 500GB.

hemohemo

I just got off the call with Cisco support Singapore. This guy Eric was very patient with my questions about replacing the harddisk with larger capacity. He went away to check the documentation and called me back after 30mins with the steps - start with replacing slot B with 1T, let it rebuild, and then replace slot A, and let it rebuild. It will then be 1T RAID1.