thumb
Accepted Solution

Auto DHCP and Static IP together

[ Edited ]

I was wondering if I could set one of my computers to a static IP and leave the rest for Auto DHCP? Only

reason I want this is because I run a webcam and if the IP changes on the computer that runs it, I have to

go in and change the permissions in the Port Range for it to work.

I am using the WRT54GS and NM 5.5.9195 pure on an all XP Home SP3 network.

Gabby

Re: Auto DHCP and Static IP together

[ Edited ]

Definitely! That's the usual practice, if you have devices that needs port forwarding you set static IP address on it. Just don't pick an address from the DHCP range which is 100-149.

thumb

Thanks, I'll try and see what I can do.

thumb

Well, I think I went through every setting but can't figure out where to set a particular computer to a static IP.

The only place I see something is in the basic setup page to where you can change it from Auto Config DHCP to

Static IP but If I do that, it wants to know the following:

Subnet Mask

Gateway

Static DNS 1:, 2:, and 3

Do I use the Subnet Mask and Gateway that's already input?

And what DNS do I use and how do I say which computer gets it?

I'm confused now.

Gabby

Just to make it clear. You have a webcam on a computer and you want that computer to use a static IP, right?

There's nothing to be changed on the page of the router. You have to go to properties of local area connection if that is a wired computer if not properties of wireless connection.

Follow steps 6-10 here: http://www.worldeyecam.com/store/how-to-setup-a-static-ip-address-with-windows-xp.html

thumb

You are right, the camera is on the computer that I want the Static IP and it is a wired connection to the router.

It's late right now but I'll take a crack at it tomorrow and see what I come up with and let you know.

Thanks

thumb

[ Edited ]

Wow! I followed the instructions on the link you gave me and I could'nt believe it was the same thing I use to do when

I had dial up and had to set all the parameters like 20 years ago. It's working right now with the static IP.

I do have a question though, I set the IP as the same IP that the router gave it with the Auto config DHCP and I think

that maybe I should have picked a different one outside the range of the 20 DHCP users starting at 192.168.1.200 because wouldn't the router assign another computer automatically the same IP as my static IP by chance?

I thought about this but didn't know if I could assign a static IP out of the range I specified for the router.

VALETLINKSYS

Yes You can Thumb!  But you can't connect to other networks anymore that has different IP address .

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
SingingHawk

I have basically the same problem as Thumb, I am trying to set up Auto DHCP and Static IP together. When I follow the instructions on the link you provided I can't change TCP/IP settings as the Properties box is grayed out and I can't access it. My operating system is Windows XP Pro SP3.

vihangsn@gmail.com

instead of automatically obtain ip configuration. you need to manually configure the IP and DNS system that you need to assign a particular IP