Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rtfoster
Accepted Solution

Can WRT54G2 be set up as an access point?

Can WRT54G2 be set up as an access point?

I want to create a single network with the following: 2x WRT54G2, 2x WRT54G, 1x Motorola DSL modem, 1x laptop, 1x desktop and 1xWGA600N.

Currently the DSL modem is connected to WRTG54 configured as a router.  How do I get my other routers to act as access points to connect wirelessly to my laptop, desktop and gaming adapter?  I cannot seem to get all of these devices to show up on the same network map on the Network Magic software.

Thanks,

RTF

ShinzooYuuru

Re: Can WRT54G2 be set up as an access point?

Hello rtfoster, it's not possible for the other wireless router to receive wireless signal from another wireless router, you need to install a wireless access point or a wireless bridge to one of your wireless router in order to receive wireless signal from your main wireless router.

------------------------------------------------------

"Nankurunaisa" "It will all work out just fine!"
rtfoster

Sorry.  I should clarify that I do have CAT5 jacks in the other rooms of my house.  These are tied into the DSL modem/router.  So I guess my question is really how do I use a wired WRT54G2 to communicate with the DSL modem/router?

Thanks,

RTFoster

ShinzooYuuru

[ Edited ]

Oh no wories! Its simple, just try to follow this steps:

There are ways to setup your Router if you're using a DSL connection

1. DHCP

2. PPPoE 

For DHCP

> connect PC to port 1 at the back of your WRT54G2 (don't connect the modem yet)

> Click Start, then Run

> When the Run window opens, type “cmd” in the Open field, then click OK

> When the MS DOS Prompt appears, type “ipconfig/all” then press [Enter]

> Take note that the Default Gateway is your router’s local IP address

> Type "exit" then press [Enter] to close the MS DOS Prompt

NOTE: If you're not getting a valid Default Gateway address, renew the computer's TCP/IP settings. For instructions, click here.

> Open a web browser such as Internet Explorer

> Go to the Address bar and enter your router’s IP address ("192.168.1.1" is the default IP of most Linksys routers) then press [Enter]

> A new window will prompt for a User name and Password. Leave the User name field blank then enter your router’s password ("admin" is the default password), then click OK.

NOTE: If the password of the router has been changed, type the router’s new password in the Password field instead.

> When the router’s web-based setup page appears, look for Router IP and change it to 192.168.2.1 and click on Save Settings button.

> unplug the power cord at the back of your Router and while unplug, connect the Modem to the Internet port at the back of your Router

> plug it back the power cord of the Router after

> check if the power light is solid, if power is now solid then check if online.

-if not online, access the web page of the router and look for MAC Address Clone

-click on Enable and click on Clone My PC's MAC and click on Save Settings button

-check if online

For PPPoE

> Access the router’s web-based setup page. For instructions, click here.

> When the router’s web-based setup page appears, look for Local IP Address and change it to “192.168.2.1” and click on Save Settings button

> Renew the computer’s IP address. For instructions, click here.

> Access the router’s web-based setup using “192.168.2.1” as the IP address.

> When the router’s web-based setup page appears, click Status and check if Internet IP Address has numbers or values. If the Internet IP Address has numbers, the computer should now be able to access the Internet.
> When the router’s web-based setup page appears, click Setup then look for Internet Connection Type and select PPPoE on the drop-down arrow.
> Enter the username and password that your ISP provided you in the User Name and Password fields, including the domain in the username if necessary and click on Save Settings button.
> Click Status then look for Login Status and check it says Connected. If it’s connected, you should be able to access the Internet.

Resolving PPPoE Error Messages

There are four error messages that might come up when setting up PPPoE on your router. For instructions, click here.

Hope that helps.

Message Edited by ShinzooYuuru on 06-07-2009 03:56 PM
------------------------------------------------------

"Nankurunaisa" "It will all work out just fine!"
rtfoster

Thank you!  The DHCP instructions worked great!  One more question: if I want to install a third and/or fourth WRT54G2 on my home network, do I justr follow the same instructions but instead enter the IP address as   "192.168.3.1" etc.?

Thnaks,

Todd

rtfoster

Also, when I get the other routers configured as an access points, where do I plug in the network cable?  I know the DSL modem/wireless router will have the phone line connected to the Internet port.  Will the network cable in the other rooms also be plugged into the Internet port, or inot one og the LAN ports?

Thanks,

Todd

wmword

Can the WRT610N be set up as an access point following the same steps as for the WRT54G2?   My DSL connection is PPPoE. 

I have a wired LAN with a WAP54G access point, which connects 2 laptops wirelessly to the LAN and the internet.  I want to replace only the access point with a WRT610N.   Can the WRT610N function just as a access point?   Do I connect the access point Cat6 to the internet connection on the WRT610N, or to one of the four ethernet ports?

Thanks for the help. 

hardika

can modem adsl -> linksys wrt54g2 ->wireless-> linksys wrt54g2

please help me to setup this topologi
step by step

please..