EvilWizardGlick

Can connect to router, can not direct connect to modem.

I've tried this with 2 seperate pc's from my network. One has a Rosewill gigabit card the other an Everex laptop with an Nvidia card. Both connect fine to my D-Link dir-655. But neither will connect directly through the modem to the internet.

The laptop was attempted on a Surfboard cableco modem at our new house and the pc at home to another surfboard.

Neither seems to be updating the IP address.

When reconnected to the router there is no problem.

The laptop could wifi connect to an open router in the neighborhood.With both I turned Firewall and Av off making certain neither was the culprit.

Any ideas? I'm moving and only want to test the modem maybe leave a spare pc with SKYPE until we are fully in. After that the network will be back up.

I'm assuming there is a propietary driver/dll/exe limiting my connection to just the router based network.

The Laptop was Vista Home Premium and the PC XP fully up to date.

Thanks

AugieD369

Re: Can connect to router, can not direct connect to modem.

[ Edited ]
Hi Glick, Normally cable modems will need to be "power-cycled" in order to use a new device connected directly to it.  To do this, you unplug the modem from power, plug in the PC/Router but don't turn it on, plug in the modem to power and wait for the lights to stablize, then turn on the PC/Router.
Message Edited by AugieD369 on 03-13-2009 08:17 AM
My Cisco Network Magic Configuration:
Router: D-Link WBR-2310 A1 FW:1.04, connected to Comcast High Speed Internet
Desktop, iMac: NM is on the Windows Partition, using Boot camp to access Windows, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit RTM, Broadcom Wireless N Card, McAfee Personal Firewall 2009,
Mac Partition of the iMac is using Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
Laptop: Windows XP Pro SP3, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, McAfee Personal Firewall 2008

Please note that though I am a beta tester for Network Magic, I am not a employee of Linksys/Cisco and am volunteering my time here to help other NM users.
EvilWizardGlick

Yep did that. When the cableco tech installed the new modem at the new house he cycled the modem and laptop repeatedly. We must have spent an hour and a half trying to connect. His laptop worked fine, and the wifi would connect to the open signal as I said. Just the card would not.

Same with the home pc. Cycled modem nothing.

It's like the only network recognized is through the router.

The only thing I didn't try was total removal of Network Magic.

Everything on the card is set as it should.

thecreator

EvilWizardGlick wrote:

Yep did that. When the cableco tech installed the new modem at the new house he cycled the modem and laptop repeatedly. We must have spent an hour and a half trying to connect. His laptop worked fine, and the wifi would connect to the open signal as I said. Just the card would not.

Same with the home pc. Cycled modem nothing.

It's like the only network recognized is through the router.

The only thing I didn't try was total removal of Network Magic.

Everything on the card is set as it should.

Hi EvilWizardGlick,

I have a D-Link DIR-655 Router and a Motorola Surfboard SB-5100 Cable Modem and everything is working just fine.

I had problems also, but I got it working and this is what I did.

Disconnected all Ethernet Cables from the D-Link Router. Remove the plug from the outlet not from the back of the Cable Modem, nor the Router, because if you hold the connectors in the hand, they can switched around and be plugged in the wrong device and blow the Power Supply on the Router.

If the Cable Modem has a Battery Backup, remove the Battery.

Disconnect the Outside Line to the Cable Modem. Disconnect the Ethernet Cable from the Cable Modem to the Router.

Wait one minute.

Now Apply power only to the Router. Hook up the Ethernet Cable from the Computer to the Lan Port on the Router.

Plug one end of a Ethernet Cable to the Wan Port on the Router. Do not connect the other end yet.

Put the Battery back in, if the Cable Modem has a battery. Plug the Cable Modem in. Hook up the Ethernet Cable to the Modem from the Router's Wan Port. Then reattach the Outside Line to the Input of the Cable Modem.

Go to the Wired Computer and see if you are online.

thecreator - Running Network Magic version -5.5..9195.0-Pure0 on Windows XP Home Edition SP 3
Running Network Magic version -5.5.9195.0-Pure0 on Wireless Computer with McAfee Personal Firewall Build 11.5.131 Wireless Computer has D-Link DWA-552 connecting to D-Link DIR-655 A3 Router.
EvilWizardGlick

I can connect to the router fine. The router connects to the internet via the modem without a problem.

My network doesn't have any problems.

But I can not direct connect a pc to the modem.

Something isn't updating the network cards when directly connected to the modem. But recognizes the router and network.

I should be able to plug the nic to the modem and automatically receive an ip address, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Sometimes a Firewall or AV will block a connection, but I checked those.

Not having an issue with the network but one with direct connect makes me think it is Network Magic. I even tried setting the direct connect as a second network and had no option for that.

I'm guessing that the wifi side can recognize multiple networks but the wired side can't.

Does anyone have two wired networks available in Network magic?

Anyone willing to try a direct connect to verify if I'm the only one with this problem?

If someone else can direct connect then there is another program I need to find.

Thanks

thecreator

EvilWizardGlick wrote:

I can connect to the router fine. The router connects to the internet via the modem without a problem.

My network doesn't have any problems.

But I can not direct connect a pc to the modem.

Something isn't updating the network cards when directly connected to the modem. But recognizes the router and network.

I should be able to plug the nic to the modem and automatically receive an ip address, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Sometimes a Firewall or AV will block a connection, but I checked those.

Not having an issue with the network but one with direct connect makes me think it is Network Magic. I even tried setting the direct connect as a second network and had no option for that.

I'm guessing that the wifi side can recognize multiple networks but the wired side can't.

Does anyone have two wired networks available in Network magic?

Anyone willing to try a direct connect to verify if I'm the only one with this problem?

If someone else can direct connect then there is another program I need to find.

Thanks

Hi EvilWizardGlick,

It isn't Network Magic, it is the Cable Modem. Only one Computer can be directly connected to the Cable Modem and registered with the Cable Modem or one Router can be connected and registered with the Cable Modem.

If you register the Computer you wish to direct-connect to the Cable Modem, you must reinstall the Cable Modem from scratch. In other words, you can't use a Direct-Connection with a USB Cable and an Ethernet Cable to the Router at the same time. You can only use one connection from the Cable Modem. The Manufacturer did not lock you into using an Ethernet Cable to connect. You can use an USB Cable.

Understand? You can't simply pull the Ethernet Cable from the Router's Wan Port and connect directly to the Computer's Ethernet Port, because the Computer is not registered with the Cable Modem, the Router is.

thecreator - Running Network Magic version -5.5..9195.0-Pure0 on Windows XP Home Edition SP 3
Running Network Magic version -5.5.9195.0-Pure0 on Wireless Computer with McAfee Personal Firewall Build 11.5.131 Wireless Computer has D-Link DWA-552 connecting to D-Link DIR-655 A3 Router.
EvilWizardGlick

As I stated in the original post I tried two seperate pc's with two seperate modems at two seperate locations..One a brand new install cableco modem, the second the one my network is on now. Reread my post as I have explained the setup and issues already.

Network magic is one of the few pieces of software they both share.

thecreator

EvilWizardGlick wrote:

As I stated in the original post I tried two seperate pc's with two seperate modems at two seperate locations..One a brand new install cableco modem, the second the one my network is on now. Reread my post as I have explained the setup and issues already.

Network magic is one of the few pieces of software they both share.

Hi EvilWizardGlick,

Take Network Magic out of the equation and uninstall Network Magic and reboot the computer, with the Computer directly connected to the Cable Modem, after the Cable Modem is powered-cycled. In fact, leave the Cable Modem unplugged until after the computer is rebooted.