mmwwescott

Getting your wireless router to work with the mini computers and their small monitors

I have one on the new Dell Mini computers.  I purchased the Wireless-G Broadband Router model #WRT54G2 and had the most difficult time getting Network Magic installed on the Mini because the monitor was too small for the required resolution (1024x768) - this was trying to install via the CD that came with the router.

The solution to this problem:

1)  Use the CD to install the Router and Network Magic on your desktop (or wherever you are hardwired to the internet).

2)  Open Network Magic; go to "Status" and download the newest version of Network Magic to your desktop.

3)  DO NOT use the CD to install Network Magic on the Mini.  Instead - Unplug your hardwire connection from your desktop and connect it to your Mini.  Go to "linksysbycisco.com/us/en/support/WRT54G2/download" and install the newest version of Network Magic on your Mini. 

4)  Replug your hardwire connection into your desktop.

5)  You can now use Network Magic from your desktop to add the mini to the network.  Go to "Tasks" and then "Add a device."  You will be able to follow the directions at this point.

The only other issue I found was naming the network.  I had to name the desktop and the mini the same name otherwise it wouldn't connect.

Good Luck and hopefully it won't take you the three days it took me to figure this out.

AugieD369

Re: Getting your wireless router to work with the mini computers and their small monitors

Good instructions there.  NM 5.5 is currently the required version for netbooks, 5.0 and 5.1 don't work will with netbooks.
My Cisco Network Magic Configuration:
Router: D-Link WBR-2310 A1 FW:1.04, connected to Comcast High Speed Internet
Desktop, iMac: NM is on the Windows Partition, using Boot camp to access Windows, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit RTM, Broadcom Wireless N Card, McAfee Personal Firewall 2009,
Mac Partition of the iMac is using Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
Laptop: Windows XP Pro SP3, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, McAfee Personal Firewall 2008

Please note that though I am a beta tester for Network Magic, I am not a employee of Linksys/Cisco and am volunteering my time here to help other NM users.
bbarbarashop

Re: Getting your wireless router to work with the mini computers and their small monitors

I had a great connection with my Linksys until 3 days ago. It seems I pickup a virus. I have since corrected that situation but now my computer doesn't reconginze LINKSYS. So is there a download I need to reinstate the use of LINKYSYS?

cheerema

I installed the router on my IBM laptop  but now cannot get it to work wirelessly on an Apple Mac Pro  computer? What do I do? 

verbjim

I recently purchased & installed links by Cisco router from e-bay. The installation was successful, however when I went to add a device [a Sony Aviva laptop USB device the screen simply says"searching" and never finds this device. I use Windows Vista home premium, on my PC, However the Sony Aviva Laptop uses Windows XP. Can Someone help! Thanks Jim Verb

danobot11

anybody know how to get this thing to work with a DS!

Loic dehaye

Hi i have a Router WRT 54 G2 v1, when i want to connect it wireless to my new mini, He is asking me to enter a Security key !

i don't know how to get that Code, anyone would have an answer for me ?

Thank you

LIBBOY29

susan w

asking for security key or passphrase but the ones I got do not work. THANK YOU! 

rburzine@yahoo.com

Hi ,I 'v got the exact same problem , the devices will not accept the securty keys , any help on that yet ?