Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
nick.delmonte

Invalid attempt to log in as user 'badcred'.

I have a small home network of 4 computers (2 desktops running windows 7 and vista and 2 laptops running windows 7 and vista). I also have a router (linksys wrt350N) and network magic Version 5.5.9195.0.  Everything is working fine.  Just the other day, I purchased the IOMEGA StorCenter ix2-200 network storage Drive (2 Terabytes). It is working fine. However,when I go to the event log file of the IOMEGA drive, I see that there are many ....    Invalid attempt to log in as user 'badcred'.

I have determined that this is not caused by a virus but rather from network magic. I have shut down all computers except for one and uninstalled network magic on that individual one. The ...Invalid attempt to log in as user 'badcred'   ...  no longer occurs. I then re-installed network magic and   ......Invalid attempt to log in as user 'badcred'.... re-occurs. Can someone please help resolve the issue.  I have searched the internet with search word "badcred"  and have found a few sites but none have helped. Thanks.

hjs2411

Re: Invalid attempt to log in as user 'badcred'.

Hello All/Anyone?

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?
I have exactly the same problem with an Iomega - Home Media Network Hard Drive, Cloud Edition.
The event log file registers -  'Invalid attempt to log in as user 'badcred' - every twenty minutes 24/7.
(My log file's a mile long)!

Thanks.
H.
Susquatch

[ Edited ]

Same Problem with ix2-200 Cloud Edition.

Truth is that I am getting a little annoyed by network magic anyway.  It seems to do a lot of things that affect my network in a negative way and doesn't seem to do many things that are a big positive.  So my solution will probably be to uninstall Network Magic on all my network PCs.

Flip side is that "badCred" is not the best choice of words for the iO-Mega warning.  It probably means "Bad Credentials". However, my first read of it was "Bad Credit"!!!!!!  o I immediately jumped to the conclusion that I had a virus on my network trying to skim credit card info.  Scared the crap out of me!  iOMega sure goofed on that one.

Which brings me to another alternative.  Get rid of the iOmega ix2-200.  If you read the posts on the i-Omega forum you discover 2 things.  Most posts never get answered, and the iomega is not very reliable.  Nobody needs a raid backup system if it leaves you stranded when it fails.  My plan is to convert an old PC into a file server, remove the two drives from the ix2 and put them to good use in the PC Server instead.  It will be faster, do more, be more flexible, work in a way that I understand, run regular old windows XP instead of custom linux, be more reliable, be upgradable, be compatible with almost every hardware device ever made, have a file structure that other software understands, won't scare the crap out of me with stupid messages, and .... only cost half as much.

Maybe these are not really alternatives, as I will probably do both.  I'm just not sure yet which alternative will be first.

Cheers!

Susquatch

[ Edited ]

Seems I ran out of time to edit my previous note.  The following are some additional comments to my previous post:

I decided to fix Network Magic first.  It was just the easiest thing to do.  But after considering this at some length, I also decided not to actually uninstall it.  Instead, I have just stopped it from auto loading at startup.  That way I can only run it manually whenever I need it, and the silly "BadCred" warnings stop.

Suggestion for the team at LinkSys Cisco - Add an option to a future release of Network Magic to disable probes of certain devices.  It is nice to have the server show up in the map, but once it is there, an option added to the device properies to disable future probes would be very useful.  Perhaps make it work the same way as the current option to disable warnings for a given device.  Alternatively, allow users to manually add and configure a given device on the network and disable autmomatic searches and probes of a given IP address or address range or perhaps of a MAC ID.

Cheers!