Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
hvail

LELA & Network Magic

Now that Cisco has purchased "Network Magic" is this product going to be combined with LELA?

Hv

JLSchutt

Re: LELA & Network Magic

Interesting question. I've run Network Magic for a couple of years - currently version 4.9 (before Cisco bought it). Am trying to decide whether to upgrade to 5.0 (Cisco version). Have special discount available until end of year. Any advice?

--Jim--

hvail

I can only guess, but you would have to assume that since Cisco purchased Network Magic they intend to use it as their primary network control manager.  Clearly supposition on my part.
JLSchutt

I just went ahead and purchased/downloaded (but not installed yet) Network Magic 5.0. Reviews are fairly good and price was right (half price for upgrade minus 20% discount = $19.99 for up to 8 computers).
hvail

I have has it on trial and am purchasing it too.  I have a Mac on the network and believe I have to purchase that module as well.
Toothpick

[ Edited ]

hvail wrote:
I have has it on trial and am purchasing it too.  I have a Mac on the network and believe I have to purchase that module as well.

New to these forums so my apologies if I'm missing something but,

Not quite sure how your post = thread "solved"

(no offense, just confusing)

I've used network magic for more than a year on other pc's in the house.

Never installed it on this one.

About a week ago I upgraded my ISP (Optimum Online) to the "Boost" package and purchased a WRT310N router, installed it and LELA.

Today I purchased another copy of Network Magic

re

1-the first copy is missing

2-that copy (this one as well) said up to 3 pc's. Well, there are 6 here.

Anyway, upon installation I get a messege that a newer version is installed and my only choice is "cancel".

I've looked through "all programs" nothing.

I ran a search of all drives and it shows in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Aplication Data\Pure Networks.

I went to the file, rt clicked and deleted it with windows washer "wash with bleach" setting. (sry if thats a promo)

The file returns

I am wondering now if LELA is "the newer version".

Or, is it the trial version of Speed Meter pro that I found through the "Products" > "Download" link found above? (I un-installed it)

direct link,

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175247890335&...

I did like the interface of network magic and would like to use it again.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-05-2009 12:33 PM
Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-05-2009 12:37 PM
JLSchutt

Toothpick, I'm not sure any of this is relevant to your problem, but here's what I did recently.

1. Was running "old" Network Magic on 3 PCs - version 4.9.

2. Bought new Linksys WRT160N router - installed LELA during router setup.

3. Saw no reason to keep LELA - too much overlap with Network Magic and I like NM - so uninstalled LELA.

4. Bought NM Pro 5.0 upgrade. Installed it on one PC, then two. Third PC is a laptop currently resting in its case in the closet. Will install NM upgrade the next time I get it out.

--Jim--

Toothpick

[ Edited ]

Turns out that LELA was the "newest version" already installed.

Found that out by uninstalling LELA and made another attempt to install NM.

Went without a hitch.

Tis a shame in a way. The look of LELA's network map is nice, shiny and a pleasure to look at.

Seeing as how they are considered the same software by my pc it would be nice to incorporate LELA's map into NM. Ah well.

What I am trying to nail down now is the reason NM's internet speedtest is showing an unbelievably slow Dload speed. Upload is unchanged @ 5000-5200 kb/s (thanks to the boost package).

The NM speedtest I ran on the nearest server (NY)showed a download of 5-6kb/s.

If that were true it would never be used for a gaming rig.

There are 3 gamers online on the same network playing the same game over the net. ETQW.

There is absolutely no lag at all.

In fact, my average speed test at,

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

shows results like this on a regular basis. This is average. My highest download was about 170,000kb/s (yeah, I know :smileyhappy: )

OK, I dont want to get off track with this thread with speed testing etc. but I find it relevant to the above description as a process of events.

The speed hasnt become an issue. The above image shows the same after NM install.

*****The problem is that NM's speedtest is showing the wrong results.*****

If/when I nail it down I will post solution.

Others who have an idea/notion feel free to comment advice/ exp

ps thanks --jim--

I performed the same steps prior to reading your post.

That was the solution to my problem

cheers

Edit, fixed link, bold current issue

Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-05-2009 11:54 PM
Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-06-2009 12:04 AM
Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-06-2009 12:18 AM
hvail

I too had bought a new router (WRT310N) and installed LELA with the router setup.  I had Network Magic installed and LELA didn't work to well because of it.  I uninstalled LELA and everything works fine.  This is what led me to ask the question here about Network Magic being the strategic direction.  I like LELA's "graphic" as well but network Magic seems to have a lot more plusses.

The real question is, why would Cisco have bought Network Magic if they didn't plan to use it as their future choice.

thecreator

Toothpick wrote:

Turns out that LELA was the "newest version" already installed.

Found that out by uninstalling LELA and made another attempt to install NM.

Went without a hitch.

Tis a shame in a way. The look of LELA's network map is nice, shiny and a pleasure to look at.

Seeing as how they are considered the same software by my pc it would be nice to incorporate LELA's map into NM. Ah well.

What I am trying to nail down now is the reason NM's internet speedtest is showing an unbelievably slow Dload speed. Upload is unchanged @ 5000-5200 kb/s (thanks to the boost package).

The NM speedtest I ran on the nearest server (NY)showed a download of 5-6kb/s.

If that were true it would never be used for a gaming rig.

There are 3 gamers online on the same network playing the same game over the net. ETQW.

There is absolutely no lag at all.

In fact, my average speed test at,

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

shows results like this on a regular basis. This is average. My highest download was about 170,000kb/s (yeah, I know :smileyhappy: )

OK, I dont want to get off track with this thread with speed testing etc. but I find it relevant to the above description as a process of events.

The speed hasnt become an issue. The above image shows the same after NM install.

*****The problem is that NM's speedtest is showing the wrong results.*****

If/when I nail it down I will post solution.

Others who have an idea/notion feel free to comment advice/ exp

ps thanks --jim--

I performed the same steps prior to reading your post.

That was the solution to my problem

cheers

Edit, fixed link, bold current issue

Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-05-2009 11:54 PM
Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-06-2009 12:04 AM
Message Edited by Toothpick on 01-06-2009 12:18 AM

Hi Toothpick,

You are correct! The Network Magic Speed Test is completely wrong. The Speed Test in Network Magic 4.9.8225.0-Pure0 version was accurate most of the time. I can't say all, because I have a Cable Connection and on a community Network, so results can vary.

But if one goes to SpeedTest home and runs it through a Browser and almost at the same time, run Network Magic's Speed Test, the results are completely different.

The newest Network Map in Network Magic does leave something to be desired. It doesn't give an accurate representation of the Network, because it also shows Devices that are turned off on the Network Map as well, instead of using the Network History to store information about the devices.

My pet peeve.

thecreator - Running Network Magic version -5.5..9195.0-Pure0 on Windows XP Home Edition SP 3
Running Network Magic version -5.5.9195.0-Pure0 on Wireless Computer with McAfee Personal Firewall Build 11.5.131 Wireless Computer has D-Link DWA-552 connecting to D-Link DIR-655 A3 Router.