mkames

Network Magic on Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Already saw a lot of issues passing by concerning Network Magic. Have one myself as well that I did not find

as covered yet.

Am running NM 5.5.5195 Pro and really had no issues before...untill I upgraded 1 set in my network

to Windows 7. On this particular machine it seem to work well but trying to enter one of the shared maps on another set in the network

(OS = XP) it won't give me access although the map(s) are configured as shared and showing as such.

Accessing shared maps from the XP-set on the W7 set: no problem. Checked firewall settings but can not

really find any issues: NM has full access. Am beginning to think it is a compatibility issue really with W7.

Am I overlooking something or can this be confirmed as a compatibility issue indeed?

Anyone to the rescue?

Thanks for your time and efforts again!

best regards,

Michael Kames 

router : Linksys WRT160NL

all sets in network:  wireless

firewall : Windows

Router Cable connection

Message Edited by mkames on 11-29-2009 02:29 PM
thecreator

Re: Network Magic on Windows 7

Hi Michael,

You need to turn on Network Discovery in the Public Profile in Network and Sharing on your Windows 7 Computers.

thecreator - Running Network Magic version -5.5..9195.0-Pure0 on Windows XP Home Edition SP 3
Running Network Magic version -5.5.9195.0-Pure0 on Wireless Computer with McAfee Personal Firewall Build 11.5.131 Wireless Computer has D-Link DWA-552 connecting to D-Link DIR-655 A3 Router.
mkames

Hi Creator,

many thanks for your attention!

Ok, let me see,  turning on Network Discovery in the public profile in Network and sharing ..by that you are referring to the Windows Firewall settings for allowing certain programs to communicate, right?

My current setting (aparently by default) is "allowed" in Private/home network, "not allowed" on public network.

So this now has to be updated (by checking the box) to also allow on public network then?

(in a way this puzzles me since I am not on a public network but on my own, private network....)

Can you confirm I am on the same page?

many thanks again!

brgds,

Michael 

thecreator

Hi Michael,

You are on the same page. Right. Correct.

Home means all computers have Windows 7 operating system only, not a mix between Windows 7 and XP or Vista. Public opens up Windows 7 for your operating systems to see Files and Folders you want to share.

Just remember, you are undo any changes, because you are making the changes. Try it.

thecreator - Running Network Magic version -5.5..9195.0-Pure0 on Windows XP Home Edition SP 3
Running Network Magic version -5.5.9195.0-Pure0 on Wireless Computer with McAfee Personal Firewall Build 11.5.131 Wireless Computer has D-Link DWA-552 connecting to D-Link DIR-655 A3 Router.
mkames

[ Edited ]

Okido, good to learn I seem to be quite following you then.

As a recap:

I could already see the shared maps that are set as such on the XP-set when I open up the shared maps overview in NM on the W7-set.

Again, trying to access them (so from the W7-set) gives me this NM-prompt that the shared map can not be accessed (although it IS showing as shared)

When I try the same thing vica-versa so from the XP-set accessing the shared maps on the W7-set I am in in a blink of an eye.

I have now made the changes as you indicated but I don't believe it works..I am still denied from behind the W7 set, there's no way getting in the shared maps on the XP-set.

Let me give it a try after a reboot, perhaps that does the trick..am in a copying session now, about 13mins still to go..will give it a swing straight after and let you know!

Thanks for now, appreciated!!

MIchael

//// EDIT

..as promised my findings after a system reboot...negative! Nothing seem to have changed. Have copied the firewall settings now 1:1 on the XP-set but this didn't do the trick either! Don't tell me I am on a dead end now he??

Hope you still have some magic for me to give a try?

Message Edited by mkames on 11-30-2009 01:44 PM
thecreator

mkames wrote:

Okido, good to learn I seem to be quite following you then.

As a recap:

I could already see the shared maps that are set as such on the XP-set when I open up the shared maps overview in NM on the W7-set.

Again, trying to access them (so from the W7-set) gives me this NM-prompt that the shared map can not be accessed (although it IS showing as shared)

When I try the same thing vica-versa so from the XP-set accessing the shared maps on the W7-set I am in in a blink of an eye.

I have now made the changes as you indicated but I don't believe it works..I am still denied from behind the W7 set, there's no way getting in the shared maps on the XP-set.

Let me give it a try after a reboot, perhaps that does the trick..am in a copying session now, about 13mins still to go..will give it a swing straight after and let you know!

Thanks for now, appreciated!!

MIchael

//// EDIT

..as promised my findings after a system reboot...negative! Nothing seem to have changed. Have copied the firewall settings now 1:1 on the XP-set but this didn't do the trick either! Don't tell me I am on a dead end now he??

Hope you still have some magic for me to give a try?

Message Edited by mkames on 11-30-2009 01:44 PM

Hi Michael,

Turn on all options, except Passwords unless you need to use Passwords in Network and Sharing Center.

I copied a file from my Windows 7 Computer to my XP Wireless Computer and it worked.

I copied a file from my Windows XP Wireless Computer to my Windows 7 Ult. 64-Bit RC Version and that worked.

I don't understand the term of Maps you are using.

Note: Shared Folders that you shared on an External Hard Drive, can't be shared or accessed. Reason: Those External Hard Drives can be simply unplugged and plugged into a different Computer.

mkames

Hi again,

Well, I don't feel too comfortable by just opening everything. I might as well just switch off the firewall then when I would do that, right?

The maps I have shared are on the physical drive of all sets, nothing like any external ones so that can't be it either.

It would be nice to be able to use the sharing option in MN but aparently I just can not make this available both ways.

It's not really that imperative I get this up and going but it's more the fact that it leaves me puzzeled WHY I can't.

I guess it's back to the old way of doing things: via Windows itself and just bypassing NM where this particular feature is concerned.

Anyway, thank you very much for your time and efforts, it's just not meant to be I guess.

Best regards,

Michael 

thecreator

mkames wrote:

Hi again,

Well, I don't feel too comfortable by just opening everything. I might as well just switch off the firewall then when I would do that, right?

The maps I have shared are on the physical drive of all sets, nothing like any external ones so that can't be it either.

It would be nice to be able to use the sharing option in MN but aparently I just can not make this available both ways.

It's not really that imperative I get this up and going but it's more the fact that it leaves me puzzeled WHY I can't.

I guess it's back to the old way of doing things: via Windows itself and just bypassing NM where this particular feature is concerned.

Anyway, thank you very much for your time and efforts, it's just not meant to be I guess.

Best regards,

Michael 

Hi Michael,

You can't share the Root Drive of the operating system's partition.

mkames

Hi,

No, I am pretty sure it must be either a firewall setting or an incompatibility issue with W7 as it works from the XP-set towards the W7-set but not vica versa, remember? Was just thinking (and I will follow up on it when I get home tonight) of temporarily switching off the firewalls one by one to see how that affects this issue. Will give you a feedback on this as soon as I can, ok?

Thanks,

Michael 

mkames

...and back again with an update as promised.

Well, firewall off on both sets: no luck. Still restricted in opening the shared folders on the XP-set from the W7-set.

Since the NM-prompt also mentioned the possibility of a virusscanner causing this problem, also switched off that on both sets: nada, niente!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, am really out of options now..besides throwing it out of the window ofcourse. This really leaves me puzzeled. I believe I have now

ruled out the firewall as bugger. Am I dealing with a incompatibility issue then afterall? It really starts to look like that, right?

regards,

Michael