Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
koltrane75

Not Connected to a Router / IP Range issue?

I am trying to install Network Magic 5.5.

The installation process cannot find my router.

I have power cycled, but I don't think that this is the issue.

Reading the help documentation, it appears that NM requires an IP range of:

10.0.0.1 - 10.254.254.254
172.16.0.1 - 172.31.254.254
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.254.254

However, I currently use 192.212.133.x

This is a personal choice for my own reasons.

Is there any way around the apparent range restriction?

Or am I out of luck?

Please Help!

AugieD369

Re: Not Connected to a Router / IP Range issue?

Hi, those IP addresses are in what is known as the private IP address range, all of those IP addresses can only be used on internel networks and your router uses NAT to provide Internet Access to devices with those IP addresses.  NM assumes all routers used on a home network have their local router set to an IP address in that range, as IP addresses outside those ranges are publicly routable on the Internet and could be used by another device on the Internet.
My Cisco Network Magic Configuration:
Router: D-Link WBR-2310 A1 FW:1.04, connected to Comcast High Speed Internet
Desktop, iMac: NM is on the Windows Partition, using Boot camp to access Windows, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit RTM, Broadcom Wireless N Card, McAfee Personal Firewall 2009,
Mac Partition of the iMac is using Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
Laptop: Windows XP Pro SP3, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, McAfee Personal Firewall 2008

Please note that though I am a beta tester for Network Magic, I am not a employee of Linksys/Cisco and am volunteering my time here to help other NM users.
szubowicz

I have encountered the same problem when installing the bundled Network Magic basic that came with my WRT610N.

For work reasons, my router needs to be configured with a specific IP address that's within my company's range of IP address. Even though this is a non-standard address for a private network, it works correctly. However, that means that Network Magic is useless to control and monitor my home network.

Since the Linksys router allows me to change its IP address on the private network, then isn't it reasonable to expect that Cisco Network Magic should have a provision for this as well?

AugieD369

Interesting suggestion...  I like the idea for non standard networks.
My Cisco Network Magic Configuration:
Router: D-Link WBR-2310 A1 FW:1.04, connected to Comcast High Speed Internet
Desktop, iMac: NM is on the Windows Partition, using Boot camp to access Windows, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit RTM, Broadcom Wireless N Card, McAfee Personal Firewall 2009,
Mac Partition of the iMac is using Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
Laptop: Windows XP Pro SP3, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, McAfee Personal Firewall 2008

Please note that though I am a beta tester for Network Magic, I am not a employee of Linksys/Cisco and am volunteering my time here to help other NM users.